All Natural Herbal Remedies and Recipes for Chickens

It had never occurred to me that the herbs I use to help me feel better when I feel stuffy could also help my girls feel better when they're stuffy :) Very useful stuff!

This morning all my chickens were sneezing :( and one had an eye closed. Eye seems fine when I open it so I'm thinking it's respiratory.

I will be too late to pick anything up after work so I was thinking of using what I have at home.

Will Rosemary, oregano, thyme and garlic help??? I have a few other herbs around...

There are 25 hens and I want to treat them all so need to make this in bulk, probably tea in the waterer.

Any advice would be awesome!

I'd give them all a go.  Yeah, make a tea and brew it strong, then serve it diluted by half in their waterers.

ETA:  You'll have to watch for diarrhea if they're not used to these herbs.  If it develops, I'd cut the brew again by half water and try that.

Thank you!

I'm now actually thinking of putting it all in a big pot of brown rice and letting them have it warm so I can mix some olive oil and UPACV in...would Ginger help too? This is starting to sound yummy lol.

Cooked brown rice, right?

Ginger improves bile flow and stimulates sweating and circulation.

The few times I've given ginger to my birds, they haven't liked it because of its strong flavor but I may have put too much in their feed. If you use ginger, I'd grate it finely and add just a little bit. If you put it in the water with your rice, the oils in the ginger should distribute evenly.

Excellent. I was planning on putting everything in the cooking water. (I keep my Ginger in the freezer peeled so it can be grated)

I think also make the concentrated tea so I dont have to cook rice everyday and can keep treating them for a week or so.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

Excellent. I was planning on putting everything in the cooking water. (I keep my Ginger in the freezer peeled so it can be grated)

I think also make the concentrated tea so I dont have to cook rice everyday and can keep treating them for a week or so.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!
I never thought of keeping my ginger in the freezer--thanks for the tip--I always wind up thowing most of the ginger away, as I don't finish it before it starts to look bad. Then I'll need some and don't have any on hand cause I threw it out. Now I'll always have some on hand.
smile.png

Well maybe they just had some type of irritant going on but two mornings of warm "herbed brown rice" for breakfast and I have not heard a sneeze since Saturday.(my husband is calling me te crazy chicken girl now) I was going to keep giving them tea but it seems unnecessary as they really only acted ill for about 24 hrs.

The one with the closed eye still has it closed but I'm beginning to think this is a different issue all together.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom