1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ALL of my brown egg layers stopped hens to be sent the soup pot!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maf2008, Aug 31, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Please help me understand why the BROWN egg layers went on strike? :confused:All of the WHITE egg layers are laying eggs like bombs!

all have the same food, nest boxes and are in the same pen....All of the brown egg layers are the same age as white egg layers 6 months old... what is going on here... If I do not get brown eggs soon... these hens will have to go to the processor and soup pot!! [​IMG]

any ideas??? [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Different things affect different breeds. Some lay good when it is hot and others don't. I wouldn't send then to the soup pot just yet.

How old are they?

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Where are you? Maybe they are too hot? How old are they?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Is there a difference in their ages? Are the brown egg ones due for a molt, and they're just done for now? How old are they? Was it gradual, or just no more brown eggs all of a sudden one day? ( if so-- do you have 2 legged predators, maybe... who like brown eggs?)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe this is your problem. If your white layers are Leghorns, they are bred to lay till they drop. Most brown egg layers are dual purpose birds who may lay fewer eggs, on average, than a leghorn. Not sure why all brown egg layers would stop at once, but if no need for the stew pot just because they took a short break, I'd say, especially if they are pretty young. Chickens are not machines and do take breaks depending on stress, heat, molt, broodiness, etc, etc.

6. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    The Ideal 236 are egg laying machines (white)...... I did rethink this and even though all hens are within weeks/days of same age. It has been REAL HOT [​IMG] as of late. The weather just "cooled" down from 105 for several months in a row to 95ish....[​IMG] This migh make a dfifference. But I want the brown eggs soon!!! [​IMG] I wont send to soup pot yet... but so help me if those hens do not start producing brown eggs soon.... [​IMG] right to the processor with the cornish cross. I have 30 more or less and get ONE brwon egg per day... 29 of them are on strike!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    wow...now that is alot of chickens to be on strike! [​IMG] I hope they start laying for you. [​IMG]

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    they may be molting

9. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Mine just got done molting...and are finally starting to lay again...this could be it..

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most of mine are older than yours, but I have seen a marked decline in my production, too (I have only brown or blue/green egg layers, no white). From 29 in the laying flock, I'm getting maybe 10-12 a day at the moment. I'm sure it will pick back up since yours are so young. That heat will make a huge difference, I promise you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by