All of my chickens are dead, how do I coperate with the deaths?

I am truly sorry, unfortuantely keeping chickens you stand to lose a few. Those predators have nothing to do but try to get a meal, they only need to find one weak spot. I'm guessing it was a raccoon, they are the worst predator. Just know that though they didn't live long, they lived much better lives than factory chickens could ever hope for. Try again when you're ready.

Heard you lost your birds, I'm truly sorry about that, it's amazing how attached you can get to a noisy pile of feathers with beady eyes.

Not to sound hard but now it's time to go to work and be a CSI! Take a few photos and notes of the carnage, there are many signs left by the guilty party. Look at the birds, is just the head off? Where have they been eaten on? Walk, better hands and knees crawl around your containment area and look for tracks and points of entry. Compare your findings with the threads on this site and ask questions.

Once you figure out what did it, trap or kill them! Most predators will return to the scene to eat or see if they missed anything. In their mind, it was a easy meal and they will remember it and return.

Fix your pen! Chicken wire will hold birds but won't stop a determined predator nor will sloppy construction. Use your oposable thumb to win!

Once this is done, do your research and find a new exciting bird you want to raise and get them, It's like getting your heart broke, get back on the horse and fall in love again! Unfortunatly we have all lost birds and dealt with it in our way and we still have birds for our own reasons. Mine is stress relief /entertainment, nothing like pulling up and stepping out of the truck and getting mobbed by a flock of chickens who only want you for your chunks of fruit & bread or watching turkey chicks climb a plastic pallet and "grind" their way back down the skid. Right now I have 6 spoiled hens standing in my garage waiting for me to come out with a treat for them. It's magic how the stress melts away

Yes, I'll pop there heads off this fall and butcher them but for the summer they will be guarded, they will have a fenced in acre to grow up in and sneak thru, a dog that guards them like they're puppies and a couple humans who truly spoil and enjoy them, their life is good and so is ours thanks to them

I am so sorry for your losses.

I have also cried over losing girls to predators, but as others have said, don't let it discourage you. Once you are ready, you can re-enforce the coop and start again. I always feel guilty when it happens, like I failed them, but then I remember what a good life they had and how loved they were. I hope you feel better soon and wish you the best of luck if you decide to get a new flock.

Im so sorry for your loss! Sounds like a raccoon! Ive lost 9 hens this year to one, and I know how hard it is. Set out traps , fortify your coop, make sure to keep the popholes shut and locked up tight at night and try again! As an earlier poster said it is part of nature, a very hard part, and we have to stay one step ahead of the preditors. Good luck, Sandy

Sorry, lost my favorite gal to a dog this spring, she was so sweet and it made her an easy target.
Were you asking for help to get more chickens or help with coping just wondering
because there are always chickens on craigslist around here that need a good home.

Last week I too lost my 4 week old chicks, 9 of them to a dog. Then 3 more had to be culled because they just didn't get better and were suffering. I hope in a few days you will feel better and maybe try to get more chicks. I like the detective post, to figure out what got them and how to keep it from happening again. It does sound like a raccoon to me too, evil little devils. Raccoons are so cute too, but don't let that fool you, they are hungry and very smart. Hugs to you, hope today is a better day for you. Share with your friends though, they will help you get through this.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Gosh I'm so sorry this happened. It made me want to cry. But it does happened either through illness or predators. I am very attached to my chickens and would be devestated as well. Time will heal your broken heart. Like bryan00705 said do some investigating and find out how this happened so you can fix it and get some more babies. My heart goes out to you.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom