All of the sudden, zero eggs in a pen of 5 hens.

I'm in NC. It's still summer here. But I'll watch for molting before I tear their pen apart looking for signs of snake.

I'm in MA but it's still very much summer over here too, 90+ degree days and school closures and all, and no eggs for the past month...
It might still be hot and 'officially' summer until the autumnal equinox on Sept.21-22,
but the days are shortening exponentially and that's what triggers cessation of lay and molting.

It might still be hot and 'officially' summer until the autumnal equinox on Sept.21-22,
but the days are shortening exponentially and that's what triggers cessation of lay and molting.
What puzzles me this year is why mine stopped laying and started molting so early, compared to other years... The daylight is still decreasing at the same rate as always, regardless of the weather. My queen hen started looking like a ripped up rag in August, when she usually doesn't molt until October...

What puzzles me this year is why mine stopped laying and started molting so early, compared to other years... The daylight is still decreasing at the same rate as always, regardless of the weather. My queen hen started looking like a ripped up rag in August, when she usually doesn't molt until October...
I've found the older they get the earlier they start to molt.

I've found the older they get the earlier they start to molt.
Sheā€™s only 3 years old though? English Orp, so not like a production breed with a short lifespan and general issuesā€¦ The 2-year-olds are looking better than the 3-year-olds right now though, so maybe thatā€™s it and Iā€™m in denial about their aging šŸ˜„

Are they free range?
Do they normally lay in nests in the coop?
Up until this summer, my ladies always laid their eggs first thing in the morning. Any more, they lay them in the afternoon. So, if they're free ranging, it's pretty reasonable that they may find another play to lay them if they're away from the coop.

I have a hen that paused laying in June, molted a bit, and is now laying again. SMH. One or two other hens are laying, and the other two are not. I also go by the color of their combs; the layers still have bright red combs. The ones who aren't are noticably paler.

Yeah, the days are shrinking fast, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom