All of the sudden, zero eggs in a pen of 5 hens.

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
There's no sign of anyone being broody. No sign of eating their eggs. Just suddenly no eggs.

Wondering about snakes or mice taking their eggs.... I know there are mice around.

Has this happened to you?

There's no sign of anyone being broody. No sign of eating their eggs. Just suddenly no eggs.

Wondering about snakes or mice taking their eggs.... I know there are mice around.

I had a friend who had a rat snake named Dave that would eat all the mice in his feed room so he never killed it and one day it decided to eat all the eggs! When he got a broody hen he had to keep her in a snake proof crate to keep him from eating get eggs and them it ate a chick so he had a BBQ!

I had a friend who had a rat snake named Dave that would eat all the mice in his feed room so he never killed it and one day it decided to eat all the eggs! When he got a broody hen he had to keep her in a snake proof crate to keep him from eating get eggs and them it ate a chick so he had a BBQ!
Also yes Dave was invited as a main guest!

Are they free range?
Do they normally lay in nests in the coop?
Can snakes get into the nests?

How old are they, in months?

I've seen a rat snake earlier in the season about 50 yards from their coop. Left it alone to deal with copperheads & mice. I have mouse traps set not far away and I get one or two a week.

Yes, they free range most days for 3 hours in late afternoon. Most of these hens are 3-5 years old. That's 60 months. ;-)

I've never seen them lay outside of the coop. Used to getting at least 3 eggs/day from these girls, and the shells are plenty hard (unlike another coop of mine) so I super miss these eggs.

Their coop is large hardware cloth fencing so yes, snakes could come & go.

Back
Top Bottom