ALL of them?

Cut out the scraps.
What is their regular feed.... brand, model, protein and calcium percentages?
14 days until Winter Solstice, then the day will begin to lengthen.
We’ve been switching feeds around a bit recently...only shop that carries brands that aren’t cheap pellets (which they hate) has been running low.
But we were feeding Scratch and Peck whole grain feed, which is their favorite, and they do not pick through. I’d have to check, but I’m 90% sure it’s 16% protein.
Then the store ran out, and we bought these layer crumbles that weren’t terrible, the birds were eating it, but not much. I don’t remember the brand, the bag had been tossed, but it had 16% protein and plenty of calcium. All our feeds have had lots of minerals. We have never gotten a shell-less egg.
And we recently bought a bag of the Scratch and Peck, with corn, because it is quite brisk here and they need to keep warm.

So these birds were hatched in springtime, and this is their first winter? Could it be that the winds come from a different direction in the winter than the summer, and they're getting a draft/too cold? (no I'm not suggest heating the coop). I live in a far different climate than you, but had to add a partial third and fourth wall to my desert coop for winter because of the extremes of the seasons. I have had birds stop laying or just not lay for a brief time when the temps dropped to 10 deg F. I did have some spring-hatched birds do a very light molt so will defer to the experts on that.

So these birds were hatched in springtime, and this is their first winter? Could it be that the winds come from a different direction in the winter than the summer, and they're getting a draft/too cold? (no I'm not suggest heating the coop). I live in a far different climate than you, but had to add a partial third and fourth wall to my desert coop for winter because of the extremes of the seasons. I have had birds stop laying or just not lay for a brief time when the temps dropped to 10 deg F. I did have some spring-hatched birds do a very light molt so will defer to the experts on that.
Perhaps...idk.

We’ve been switching feeds around a bit recently...only shop that carries brands that aren’t cheap pellets (which they hate) has been running low.
But we were feeding Scratch and Peck whole grain feed, which is their favorite, and they do not pick through. I’d have to check, but I’m 90% sure it’s 16% protein.
Then the store ran out, and we bought these layer crumbles that weren’t terrible, the birds were eating it, but not much. I don’t remember the brand, the bag had been tossed, but it had 16% protein and plenty of calcium. All our feeds have had lots of minerals. We have never gotten a shell-less egg.
And we recently bought a bag of the Scratch and Peck, with corn, because it is quite brisk here and they need to keep warm.
I suspect changing feeds could be part of it?

I have the exact same problem! I have 6 layers (stopped in mid November), I live in newberg Oregon (hey neighbor lol), and have changed their feed “recently”. I had to cut out the scraps as well, however it didn’t help as much as people say. I got like 2 eggs a day for 3 days, then they stopped again.

The key determinant for producing eggs is whether daily light period vis a vis dark period is increasing or decreasing. Temperature and other weather conditions have very little to do with it.
You are now at 8 hours, 48 minutes of day length and it will only decrease by one more minute before it starts increasing. Patience. You'll be getting eggs again in another month, especially if you stop the layer feed and switch to something with higher protein like starter, grower or all-flock.
They aren't laying now and don't need the calcium - hence they aren't layers. They are just mature female chickens - not layers currently.

While chickens are a great way to make use of table scraps, too much per bird can dramatically alter ideal nutrition, which is what is in the feed bag, so I'd stick with just feed till things return to normal.
You have six birds and feeding table scraps can have a big impact on nutrition.
I have about 60 chickens and even if I offer all our table scraps and leftovers, most of the birds would be lucky to get a bite.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom