All our chickens killed for the 3rd time this month

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shorechickies, Jul 18, 2016.

1. shorechickies

shorechickies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Can anyone help? This morning we discovered all of our chickens killed in the coop. Out of the 13 we had in there only two were left alive and these were 8 week old chickens so pretty large and flighty. We can't find any obvious break-in points at all! About 4-5 days ago something broke into the brooder and killed 10 chicks we had in there. All the chick bodies were gone, just some feathers were left. About 6 weeks ago we had something else demolish our first batch of chicks the same way, gone without a trace.

The brooder is very secure (so we thought), no holes and the top is wire and was weighted. Somehow it got into the top twice! Our coop is also very secure (again, so we thought) and we do not see any obvious signs of breaking in!!! Just $100s of dead chicks and chickens. I am so upset right now and just feel like giving up all together on trying to keep chickens. No matter what we have done this thing keeps killing everything!!

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    What kind of wire on top? I E.. Chicken wire, hardware cloth??

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Can you share photos of your coop?

And where do you live......approximately?

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Don't give up, there is a solution for everything! Don't let a predator do that!
    Please give us pics and a more detailed description of your coop/run area.
    We all want to help you.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Pictures will be very helpful...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by