All our chickies are using the same laying box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Valleri22, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Valleri22

Valleri22 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    This would now be our third family of hens and rooster (currently, six hens). We have a great; safe and healthy coup with six hen boxes that are clean and padded nicely. With that said, each family of hens, over the years, has ALWAYS used only one of the boxes oftentimes with squabbling from the other hens when one hen takes her time sitting in the box until she produces an egg. We have tried different ways of enticing the hens to use the other boxes, to no avail. Again, this happens with each family of hens. Anyone have any ideas why this happens and what I should do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It's just what they do. I've never been able to figure out why.

1 person likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It seems they like the presence of eggs so if you put some golf balls in each nesting box they will spread out a little more.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have had them favor one for weeks, and then all of sudden, pick another nest, and everyone uses that one for a while!

1 person likes this.
  5. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Mine do the same thing. I have 10 hens and 6 nest boxes yet they all use the same one too lol. Chickens are so funny

1 person likes this.
  6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Or not. (I've tried that. Sometimes it works.) [​IMG] I have a dozen nest boxes and often find two hens in the nest at the same time or sometimes even three. Or two in the box with one right outside squaking for them to get out so she can get in. Go figure.

1 person likes this.
  7. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG]Chickens are weird.

'Nuff said.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

LOL .. some of the responses gave me a chuckle [​IMG]

I have 5 chickens and 3 nest boxes and they will queue to use the favourite.

Picture a chicken in the next box and two chickens watching her with their legs crossed [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I only have 4 birds (and 1 nest box) and finally saw 2 of them trying to lay at the same time. My nest box is rather roomy (14"x20", maybe 14x24) so the two of them were able to neatly lie side by side while laying.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lynnski

Lynnski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Weymouth, MA
    My 3 nesting boxes are 12x12. Although we have 4 hens, we thought they might like their own rooms.
    [​IMG]

We closed one off for storage because they seemed to prefer one. Now, I often see 2 weirdo's in one cramped little box!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC's Valleri - Sorry we dont have a solution for you, seems you are not alone though!

p.s. @Teila - FUNNY!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by