all rooster flock?

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
next year, i want to get some chickens. they will be just pets, and since so many roosters sadly get killed i would love to have a flock of rescue roosters. can they get along?

Maybe...some will work, some won't, a lot will depend on your set up. You will need a plan B if one doesn't work out towards you or towards the others in the flock. Roosters are a bit of a crapshoot.
i would definitely have additional pens for anyone who can’t get along, and i know some other people who would be willing to adopt some if they won’t be able to stay with the others

I’ve had an all rooster flock, sometimes harder to keep because there are occasional fights. But I think that’s a great idea!!

I’ve had an all rooster flock, sometimes harder to keep because there are occasional fights. But I think that’s a great idea!!
i’ve had my drakes fight sometimes, it’s definitely harder than with my girls but it’ll be worth it knowing the drakes get to live out their lives

I have a soft spot for cockerels so I still have any and all cockerels/roosters that came here as day olds or hatched here. I have 8 cockerels and 3 roosters. My plan was to keep them together in a Bachelor Flock, but sadly my silkie cockerel and barred cochin bantam cockerel are relentless with their attacks on my LF roosters. They're significantly smaller but my Bantams seem to be much more scrappy. They can weave in and out of the LFs legs and get the better of them before they even realize it. I always end up stopping it so I don't know how long they'd fight or how bad it'd get, or even if they'd eventually figure it out and get along. Whenever I see blood (it's usually my LF Roosters that end up bleeding) I can't let them continue. Every single male that I have is fine to be housed with any male they grow up with though. I believe it has a lot to do with space, the ability to get away and avoid, the keeper, and a tiny bit of breed. It's certainly possible, but just keep an open mind and know that things rarely go as planned. So have some back up plans. I wish you the very best and commend you for taking on cockerels/roosters.

Back
Top Bottom