All signs point to yes, but no eggs...

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
So I've been saying for a while now that I will have eggs any day, but still nothing. I got my girls right before Easter, so they are about 6 months old now. They all have their combs and wattles, and their faces are bright red. I have 2 BOs, 2 EEs, and 2 SLWs. About a week ago, I went into the coop to let them out to free range, and one of my BOs refused to leave the coop and was acting agitated. Sometimes they will do that if they are left behind by themselves and I have to help them find their friends, so I tried doing that but she kept staying in the coop. Then she started doing the egg song "buk buk buk buk buk BUCKAW!" I got so excited thinking I was going to have an egg that day - first time I ever heard any of them make that noise. Here we are a week later and no eggs. Today when they were out I went to say hi and I got 4 of the 6 to do the squat too. Please someone reassure me that eggs are coming within the next week b/c I know every single sign is there to say it's almost time!!!
barnie.gif

I know chickens all lay at different ages. My Barred Rocks were 24 weeks, but my RIR's were only 18 weeks. Are your chickens free range? If so, it is possible that they are laying in the yard. You may want to go on an egg hunt. My ducks lay before 9 am each day, but the chickens lay all day. If possible, you could try keeping them in the coop a day or so and see if you get any eggs.

They are only free range when I'm home to keep an eye on them, and they mainly hang out under one tree, which I've checked there just in case. There are days that I'm gone too late to let them out though, although they have an outdoor run they can go into (but the BIG yard is so much more exciting!)

Perhaps you could build a big nest, sit in it and make all the appropiate buk-buk-buk-BUKKAW!! and then stand up, revealing the HUGE egg you just laid. I am sure the girls would get the idea and immediately lay eggs for you.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom