all swine all the time...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Beau coop, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    What are your thoughts on the potential swine flu situation?

Are you and/or your children getting vaccinated?

I am a health care provider and I just got back from a county wide informational meeting. I am hopeful the vaccination process will go well.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'm a teacher, I'll end up exposed, so better to take the shot then get it at the same time all the other teachers do.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    ive got it right now. doc says no need for the vaccine in my case [​IMG]

House arrest for 5 days or so. served 3 1/2 so far [​IMG]

I am going crazy. the walls are closing in...... hurry, the walls the walls

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:You would think that a health care provider would know not to refer to this influenza as Swine Flu but to call it by H1N1.
    Using the words swine flu is hurting the pork industry in my state, and family farmers are struggling because of the improper use of terms.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:You would think that a health care provider would know not to refer to this influenza as Swine Flu but to call it by H1N1.
    Using the words swine flu is hurting the pork industry in my state, and family farmers are struggling because of the improper use of terms.

can i put in an internet order for some pork chops? Me likes me some bacon too [​IMG]

6. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:If you did want to purchase pork, right now would be the time. The price has fallen through the floor with all of this misconception about the flu. It's a good time to stock up on bacon.

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i will not get a shot we have a higher risk of dying by heat of the sun

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In my opinion, the Swine Flu is just another version of the flu. I do not think it is any more dangerous than the other strains out there. (editted to add:for Boyd's sake, I hope not.) It seems to be able to effect people in warmer weather more than some other strains. I think it has been blown way out of proportion by the media who sell advertising and certain other people who advance their political agenda by scaring people, regardless of the facts.

Our government is doing what it can to provide a vaccine effective against a strain they expect to be prevalent this year. Every year they have to guess pretty early which strains are going to be most active and develop a vaccine to combat those strains. The swine flu came on the scene a little too late to be in the original vaccine design but i think they are doing a good job in catching up.

With that said, I had pneumonia several years ago and my doctor recommends I get the flu shot every year as I am more at risk than some people because of previously having pneumonia. I get a flu shot every year. I don't see doing anything any different this year.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  9. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Boyd -- didn't know you had it or you were even sick until I just read the Michigan thread. Get better soon.

My family does get vaccinated for the seasonal influenza every year. We have a family friend who I had just spoke with last week. She works at the local health department and said she is not going to bother to get the H1N1 shot. She's been to many meetings in regards to it and just feels no need to get the shot. Last week it had not been approved by the FDA, but I did just hear that it was today on the radio. So I'd like to hear others thoughts on it too. I'm still up in the air.

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Hey Boyd, so that's why you're posting all over the place the last few days! I'm home with a bug too. Man, I can't do anything else but sit here on the computer and sneeze, blow my nose, drink my hot drinks.
    I'll get the shot; got too many other things going on with a tendency to pnuemonia to not try it.
    Hope you feel better soon! The chickens can't catch our bugs, can they? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by