All these different numbers!!

How does that saying go? Watched eggs never pip?
Forget about watched pots never boiling. I can put the teapot on and never give it a second thought until it's screaming, but I can't stop looking at these eggs. We're about 6 hours into day 20, so I know, patience, patience.

IT'S STARTED!!! Five hours into day 21, we have the first pip. It's egg number one, which was the biggest egg and the one that was always moving vigorously when candled. It's going to be tough to sleep tonight!

Egg number 5 has just hatched! I tried to attach a time lapse, but it didn't work. Does anyone know how to do that?

Egg number 5 has just hatched! I tried to attach a time lapse, but it didn't work. Does anyone know how to do that?

We've got four hatched. They are hilarious bumbling around and then falling asleep mid bumble! Seven are pipped and two have no activity yet. The chicks peck at everything; the other eggs, the thermometers, bits of shell, and especially each other. Their little hairs are all over the incubator. Egg number one which was the first to pip 24 hours ago, has not hatched yet. It pipped at the wrong end, but has a slit in the membrane and I can see its little beak moving. I had sworn not to assist, but now I'm second guessing myself.

We've got four hatched. They are hilarious bumbling around and then falling asleep mid bumble! Seven are pipped and two have no activity yet. The chicks peck at everything; the other eggs, the thermometers, bits of shell, and especially each other. Their little hairs are all over the incubator. Egg number one which was the first to pip 24 hours ago, has not hatched yet. It pipped at the wrong end, but has a slit in the membrane and I can see its little beak moving. I had sworn not to assist, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Congrats!!! Whatever you decide, good luck!!!

Wrong end pippers are generally more likely to need assistance, but don't help unless you can see the baby is in distress. (you may want to read the assisted hatching article if you decide to go ahead and assist) Remember, the external pip for the wrong-end pipper is also the internal pip, and you don't want to break them out before they've fully absorbed the yolk. Make sure the pip is always right side up so the baby doesn't drown. Your chicks are so cute! Glad your hatch is going well :)

I resisted assisting and he/ she hatched overnight. What a relief. Eight of the 13 have hatched, and three of the remaining five have pipped although one of those three also pipped wrong end. Thanks for the advice! They are cute aren't they?

It's a few hours into day 23. Out of 13 eggs we have 12 live chicks, and one that died after pipping. The dead one was the last to pip, and he/she died very soon after making quite a nice pip. Not sure why. Here's a picture of the post hatch carnage. And some of the young 'uns. Four hatched towards the end of day 21, four hatched in the middle of day 22, and four at the end of day 22.

It's a few hours into day 23. Out of 13 eggs we have 12 live chicks, and one that died after pipping. The dead one was the last to pip, and he/she died very soon after making quite a nice pip. Not sure why. Here's a picture of the post hatch carnage. And some of the young 'uns. Four hatched towards the end of day 21, four hatched in the middle of day 22, and four at the end of day 22.

Very nice! Congrats on the hatch
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom