All things Turkey poults

Pics

Crazydoglady99

Crowing
Nov 6, 2018
Hi poultry-people,

I am the proud Turkey mumma to 3 Turkey poults, they are about 3 weeks old now. I didnt hatch them, bought them as tiny poults. I do have an incubator full of Turkey eggs though :eek:only 1 week to go!!

Anyway, just curious.. do you think you can tell Tom's & hens apart quite early?
I am absolutely convinced I have 2 Tom's and 1 hen. The 2 I think are Tom's do the wings dropped, tail feathers up, ridiculous looking dance. And are both getting thicker skin on their necks.

I'll try get some pics. They all end up blurry because they move so much :barnie

Hahahaha I think because we spend so much time with them? I really notice the tiny differences between them!
More likely I am just totally bonkers and convinced myself hahaha

Terrible photo. Sorry! (Iittle brown chicken hiding behind one of my turkeys)

Attachments

• Resized_20181104_122858(1).jpeg
    Resized_20181104_122858(1).jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi poultry-people,

I am the proud Turkey mumma to 3 Turkey poults, they are about 3 weeks old now. I didnt hatch them, bought them as tiny poults. I do have an incubator full of Turkey eggs though :eek:only 1 week to go!!

Anyway, just curious.. do you think you can tell Tom's & hens apart quite early?
I am absolutely convinced I have 2 Tom's and 1 hen. The 2 I think are Tom's do the wings dropped, tail feathers up, ridiculous looking dance. And are both getting thicker skin on their necks.

I'll try get some pics. They all end up blurry because they move so much :barnie
You may be right but may also be wrong. All of the poults that I have had strut at an early age turned out to be toms but others have had their little strutters turn out to be hens.

About the earliest that you can expect to be able to sex them is at 2 months unless they are late developing toms. Late developing toms may not be sexable until they are at least 6 months old.

Well there you go! One in particular is rather bossy, so I'm not sure how long he or she will be around.

Back
Top Bottom