All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

Pics

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
Anyone else love history, antiques, and music of the past? There are so many rabbit holes one can dive into! Come join this thread to discuss interesting tidbits of history and share about your favorite vintage things, including music. Feel free to share pictures of and stories about any antiques you have, too. Furniture, clothing, books, other objects, anything! Bonus points for poultry-related antiques, as this is a chicken forum.

I'll begin:
Personally I am interested in aspects of American culture from around 1890-1950. Photographs, particularly of people, fascinate me, as I love to analyze the clothing and hairstyles. These days I have been most focused on Edwardian clothing. And when it comes to antiques I enjoy looking through vintage books (mainly children's literature and high school yearbooks), magazines and cookbooks, popular sheet music, typewriters, postcards relevant to my area, anything that has to do with animals....the list goes on.

- I have a small collection of volumes from the Stratemeyer Syndicate series "The Outdoor Girls," the first book of which was published in 1913. Other things include several typewriters, some records, a few pages of old sheet music, other miscellaneous books and magazines, a few pre-1920 postcards from my area, some reprint Sears & Roebuck catalog books (organized by decade), and a couple new books on fashion history. I may share pictures at some point.

When it comes to music (I am referring to popular music and jazz), I like the majority of what came out between the early 1900's and 1950. There are certain genres from after that time period that I like, but I am much more picky. I am fortunate to have a radio station not too far from me that plays Big Band music (1930's and '40's). I will be posting links to several songs from 1900 to say, 1960, a few times a week here just for fun and to spark discussion. If your taste for music doesn't match mine, that's okay! Share some songs you like.

Please keep everything you share, including music, appropriate for all ages.

I love pictures and the clothing too. I have a few old things mostly photos and papers. Most of the good stuff was stolen years ago. I had a bing crosby original album that I loved and the record player. Hadn't thought of it in years. Good times.
Welcome to the thread! Photos and papers are so fun to look through. I'm so sorry your other things were stolen!
I love Bing Crosby music, especially the recordings he made with the Andrews Sisters. Do you have any favorite recordings?

Back
Top Bottom