All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

I love finding hidden gems of vintage dishware, in particular Corelle brand. I had the opportunity to flip some that were brand new in the box from the 60s and 70s.

My big passion is older books, particularly 1940s and older. I have a antique mall I like to visit and I often score these books from like 1910 and prior for under $1. I collected this age range of books ever since I was a kid for some reason, and into adulthood, and I’ve had the privilege of finding such beautiful pieces and I’m really fond of old educational material and books for children. I have one book that has black and white photos showing horse drawn fire trucks still being used at the time and it was meant as sort of an encyclopedia for younger folks. I also have another that talks about seed companies and varieties that at the time were commonplace but now hard to find if not impossible.

Interesting thread! I don't know if I would call myself a collector, but I enjoy antique furniture. I have an old grain scale that has been redone into my coffee table( will look for a picture) and recently I bought a laundry stove at an antique mall. It's so cool looking! There are places to store the old irons as they heat up. It's only about 2 feet tall, made of cast iron. Don't know exactly what year it's from but we were told it's very old. But who knows?

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_212242226.jpg
    IMG_20210322_212242226.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 6
I love finding hidden gems of vintage dishware, in particular Corelle brand. I had the opportunity to flip some that were brand new in the box from the 60s and 70s.

My big passion is older books, particularly 1940s and older. I have a antique mall I like to visit and I often score these books from like 1910 and prior for under $1. I collected this age range of books ever since I was a kid for some reason, and into adulthood, and I’ve had the privilege of finding such beautiful pieces and I’m really fond of old educational material and books for children. I have one book that has black and white photos showing horse drawn fire trucks still being used at the time and it was meant as sort of an encyclopedia for younger folks. I also have another that talks about seed companies and varieties that at the time were commonplace but now hard to find if not impossible.
I am not at all familiar with dishware, but I looked up images of Corelle dishes are they are beautiful! It must be exciting to discover new pieces. Do you use the dishware, or just collect it to display?

I love exploring antique malls. I have visited several on trips to Arizona and Texas. I've also been to some smaller stores in the Bay Area, CA. The town of Niles in Fremont has quite a bounty of them.

I find old educational material, particularly for children, quite interesting too. I have an elementary school primer from the '60's, a 1944 "Basic Mathermatics" manual from the War Department, a little French primer called "Six Contes Choisis," and an old French plant and flower ID guide. Vintage children's poetry books are perhaps my favorite, though. I should take a closer look at all the books I have. Too often I purchase something and then never take proper advantage of all it has to offer.

Interesting thread! I don't know if I would call myself a collector, but I enjoy antique furniture. I have an old grain scale that has been redone into my coffee table( will look for a picture) and recently I bought a laundry stove at an antique mall. It's so cool looking! There are places to store the old irons as they heat up. It's only about 2 feet tall, made of cast iron. Don't know exactly what year it's from but we were told it's very old. But who knows?
Wow, yes, that is so neat! I have never heard of a laundry stove, but it makes sense people used to have them, given the nature of old irons. I would love to see the grain scale --> coffee table too when you are able to find a picture.

Aaack! Somebody thinks Corelle is an antique! Anything that was modern during my lifetime is NOT an antique.

That said, I have a small collection of Victorian era brooches, and found another one at a swap meet last weekend. My best guess is mid-1800's.

Why stop with looking at them? I can spin on my spinning wheel.

Aaack! Somebody thinks Corelle is an antique! Anything that was modern during my lifetime is NOT an antique.

That said, I have a small collection of Victorian era brooches, and found another one at a swap meet last weekend. My best guess is mid-1800's.

Why stop with looking at them? I can spin on my spinning wheel.
Corelle can be considered vintage. But not antique.

Back
Top Bottom