All wanting to be in a corner & a confontational "hen."

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
First off... Here is a post about questions of he/she. I am refering to the picture where my two white EE's are in. the front one... we've thought she was a she... should be.. I bought all pullets, but tonight she challenged me. Even pecking at my hand some. Stance was confrontational too. This is my 'friendly' chicken. "She" will let my two 3 year olds pick her up. Do hens do this??

My second question is tonight, as I closed them in their house, most of them wanted to be in a certain corner (west facing). they were piling up on top of each other, just to be IN that corner. It is 65 degrees outside, and no warmer/colder than it's been. thanks!

a little too cold at 5 weeks for no heat at 65 degrees
start at 95 then down 5 degrees each week that would be 70 degrees
they might have been cold

I don't know about the hen - I would guess some are more dominant than others

I'm sorry, after I went to bed, I realized I didn't mention that they are 6 weeks old. It was a sunny day and inside the coop is warmer than the outside 65 degrees. It was if they all had to be with their heads in the corner. This is the first time they've done this and it's been cooler in there before. They've in in their house for 2 weeks now.

Were they scared of something? When my now 7 week olders were put in with the bigger chookies (in a small cage within the big cage), I came out to find a big chookie in the small cage (she had accidently fallen in the trap door at the top). The three littlies were hiding in the corner of the little hut with their heads down, bums up. She didn't hurt them, but they were hiding.

Perhaps it will stay a mystery. The chicks started out in temps of about 85. I watched them and they never huddled.. they were warm enough. I had just brought them into the house when this happened. They've been in the house for 2 weeks and there was nothing else in the house. DOn't know.. just thought I'd put it out there. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom