All was well...then the neighbors got a dog

Some dogs bother chickens and some don't. It sounds like the dog is not yet on your property. So actually, the dog is not yet a problem.

I solve the issue of neighborhood dogs by having a good fence around my property. Then the dogs can't get onto my property.

Please instruct your son to never swerve about animals in the road. It is not worth wrecking his car, injuring himself, or perhaps hitting another car and injuring someone else. Also, the very best way to not hit wildlife is to maintain the exact same course and speed. The animal then can judge how to move out of the way. If you swerve, you are almost certain to hit them.

Oregon, I agree. I think I have the responsibility to make my chickens as safe as I can.

Last year a new family moved in next door with a Golden Retreaver. Very nice people. I told them if their dog got on my property, my mule would kill him. That's no joke. I've seen my mule try to trap a dog from getting away. Love them mules!

Quote:

Never swerve to avoid and animal. Better they get hurt than you. So if it happens again hit the dog and end the problem. Seriously I mean it.

You might want to stop and explain what almost happened with the dog so they are fair warned.

You won't hurt the dog if you shoot him with a BB gun. A few times and he'll get the idea. Aim for his rump. Just don't let him see you. This way he'll associate the pain with the area and not you.

Or fencing in the yard.

I wish you well,

Rancher

I agree with talking to your neighbor. Just possible they don't know the dog is leaving the property (possible) or may getting his self in trouble. Also, I would want my neighbor to come to me first before hurting my dog or my dog causing pain and loss to others.

Why not get them a cable run for their dog as an early Christmas gift. Make sure its a long enough cable run so the dog has plenty of space. Maybe a 40 foot tie to the cable... Keep the reciept incase its rejected. Use the my son nearly hit your dog and was so upset, that we decided to get you this cable run so he'd be safe in the yard. Nice thing, can hook one end right near the back door, or make sure the dog end of the cable goes right to the back door. Bring a dozen eggs too. Have a coffee... Even offer to help install it.

Quote:
That isn't always true. I could go into a longish speech with an example but if someone lets their dog roam free out of ignorance it doesn't mean they don't care about the dog.

I would tell the neighbors about the near-accident and also mention that you're worried about your chickens as the dog seems interested in them. If they don't take care of the problem then, you may want to look into electric fencing and/or the cost of putting up a simple 4 foot fence. Do your chickens free range on your property? If they don't you can try adding one strand of hotwire to the chickens fence to keep the dog out. It isn't ideal but it should protect them while you figure out how to get the neighbors to put the dog up. If they say "oh he wouldn't hurt your chickens" try explaining to them how a chicken can litterally be scared to death and when frightened they won't lay for a while. You can offer to help put up a fence in their backyard so the dog doesn't have to be tied. Some people feel so guilty on tieing a dog up they'd rather take a chance on it getting hit by a car then to live a life on a chain.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OK, I was thinking of first calling them and saying, "Hi Ruth, say, do y'all have a dog?" and tell her how Brian almost wrecked his car - I know he should have just hit it rather than wreck his car but automatic reaction, you know. He just came up over the hill at dusk and there it was in the middle of the road. They have eight kids, umpteen grandkids and even a couple of greats, so I know they would understand that. And then mentioning how I'd seen the dog coming up by the chickens a few days ago and hadn't seen it before, and didn't know if it was theirs or just some loose dog wandering around...didn't want to call animal control on a loose dog if it was theirs, etc., etc. I know they understand livestock, they used to have 300 pigs out here before this house was built! (thank goodness, no more pigs, just crops) ...and how these chickens are really my pets and how devastated I'd be if anything happened to them (which is true).

Sounds like a great plan to me
thumbsup.gif

Yes, the neighbors whose husky got loose was not irresponsible just a bit lax. Unfortunately their dog came on my property and started biting my dog. $400 later my drugged and stitched dog is laying on his bed fighting off infections. Shoot, I love dogs too. Even had a neighbors number on speed dial so when his pit showed up I would leash the dog and call the owner. I do give chances. Sometimes things work out,but sometimes you have to get realistic.

Sometimes it takes an accident or a few dead chickens to get people motivated(on either side). If you are lucky your neighbor will take heed of your concerns instead of offense. Unfortunately more often than not people get upset when you tell them their is something they need to be doing differently even if they know you are right.

Best wishes whatever you do!

Quote:
See Deb.......... you didnt need to come to us. You already knew the right thing to do. To keep a good relationship of any kind you need to communicate. Sometimes that communication can be uncomfortable. I am a dog person and a chicken person so I understand both sides. Your neighbors deserve you coming to them and letting them know the dog has been on the road and coming by your place. And you can say to them, "I know having pigs in the past you understand my concern. a pig could at least fight back, a chicken can't"
The dog has not done anything to deserve getting shot and the neighbors certainly have not done anything to justify shooting their dog! This is a security blanket for an older couple. I think your on the right track talking to them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom