all who are hatching quail

Robbie from JMF said a fellow, Dr. Smith came up with the best diet and I think this is the PDF that he was talking about:

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2383.htm

NC State University also put out a bulletin that seems to match Purina's suggestions (and mixes) pretty Close, also its got the higher protein mix (28%) for the first 4 weeks that quite a few experts have told me to do, other than the 24 vs 28% both of these seem pretty close but the NC State is a bit more detailed including more nutrient levels

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/feeding_quail.html

I was looking for the feeding program Robbie suggests and found this really interesting read. The breeding program recommended is more geared towards a natural vs abnormal stock and close to what I do for my northern bob-whites. I booked-marked it to refer back to an have seen some of this information elsewhere so I don't know if this was the source documentation or a collaboration effort but its a great source

http://www.quailridgefarms.net/index.php?main_page=page_2

I know I've posted some of this recently but I've been reading more and more and thought ya'll be interested in the additional NCSU and other link, I've got a hundred or so JMF American Pharaoh and A&M arriving soon to join my harlequin and bob-whites!

Last edited:
My quail are hatching! Three of the 21 are out, wet and moving around. Do I understand correctly that I should leave them in the incubator -- no food or water needed -- for 24 hours before moving them to the brooder?

You do indeed. they survive off of the yolk form the egg. Do you think it's too late to put one more batch in the incubator?

Last edited:
Humm, if you lay them side by side touching I betcha could get 144 in there but how would you stand them up on the pointy end for hatching? I guess you could make your own "tray" to keep upright after lockdown?

So, I guess depending on your ingenuity somewhere between 64 and 144?

Humm, if you lay them side by side touching I betcha could get 144 in there but how would you stand them up on the pointy end for hatching? I guess you could make your own "tray" to keep upright after lockdown?

So, I guess depending on your ingenuity somewhere between 64 and 144?
When i hatched the nine eggs that were given to me. They hatched just fine laying on their side. I did have to help out 2 that were in the egg the wrong direction. But they all hatched.

Last edited:
My latest batch was on its side when it hatched admittedly 2 were born with deformities but I don't think that had to do with them being on their side. Also that's how I hatch my chickens just on their side. I doubt they stay pointy side down in their nests

I've done it both ways and my gut feeling is upright let's them open their shells easier. When sideways I have had a lot that while the mostly cut their shells all the away around they just couldn't pop the top all the way off. My guess is its just a bit harder for them to spin when they are on their sides because on the ones carefully I've popped the top off they all grew up fine! In fact, in my last batch the 2 out of 3 on their sides needed help but none of the upright ones.

So I agree it doesn't matter too much if your just hatching less than a hundred birds cause a little extra work isnt a big deal but if we where doing thousands it probably would matter a whole lot!

Fourteen of my 21 eggs hatched. Humidity was high, about 85%. It went up as the hatch progressed. The babies popped out with ease. One babe died soon after hatch. A day later the chicks were still wet, but I moved them to the brooder anyhow. Its a large aquarium with a red heat lamp at one end. The hot end can be as warm as 102 but there is lots of room to move. In a few hours I lost six babies. A full day in the brooder and the remaining seven are fine, eating, drinking, running around. Did humidity or temp kill half my chicks?

Back
Top Bottom