all who are hatching quail

Setting 28 mixed color coturnix, I have Rosetta, Italian, English white, Tuxedo, and Pharaoh in my breeding stock, very excited to see what i get out of that!!!! This is also my first quail hatch!

Have 8 Jumbo Cotunix and 36 eggs in the incubator that are due on Wednesday
and an hour ago hey started to hatch so far 3 have come out thtats at 16 days
maybe to early temps are high need to lower it some for next time

I just had 24 coturnix hatch last night and this morning. set 24 and had 24 hatch 100% hatch rate never had that happen with any eggs ever. The eggs were laid here at my house from chicks I hatched back in Dec.

Good Luck everyone! Oh wait my Aunt told me it's bad luck to say good luck when hatching eggs. So hope your hatches go well?!!

In show biz we say "Break a leg!" So maybe we should say "Break an egg!"?
wink.png

the camera idea is a really good one. We once set up a camera to watch the dog - that was eye opening!

Might invest in one for when these eggs that I have hatch on the 17th/18th. Gonna look online for one now :)

Is it true that a day old coturnix can easily gender by chicks color? they say that the black stripe one are Males and the yellow/Golden brown are Females?

Hi guys, just a quick question about candling...
I can't see through the shells! Only on day 7 so thought there would only be veins to look at, but I can't see anything. I thought maybe my light wasn't strong enough, but then I grabbed a chicken egg to compare.

I've tried a cardboard box with a hole in the top, but it's even worse!

Have I to just continue without candling and hope that any bad ones don't burst?

I'm really glad you posted this because I am also doing my first hatch ever with quail eggs and cannot seem to candle them correctly! I checked against some of my chicken's non-fertile eggs that have really dark shells and I could see through them fine.
idunno.gif
I've read bits and pieces about a floating in water method of testing to see if they're developing but I can't find enough about it and I'm worried the water would mess with their temperature too much or risk contaminating the eggs.

Hi guys, just a quick question about candling...
I can't see through the shells! Only on day 7 so thought there would only be veins to look at, but I can't see anything. I thought maybe my light wasn't strong enough, but then I grabbed a chicken egg to compare.
TeraDragon, welcome to the Quail forum on BYC. Only because veins are hard to see on quail eggs, I don't candle until lockdown. By then, it's easier to see the duds as they are as transluscent as the chicken egg you posted. On my first hatch, I was in doubt as to weather an egg was fertile or not, so I left it in the incubator without any issues.
I hope this is some assistance, and I wish you luck with your hatch.
James

Back
Top Bottom