all who are hatching quail

Hi, I'm really late coming to the game but I have 11 coturnix eggs in lockdown as of last night (day 14). I orded 24 from someone on Amazon and 8 of the eggs were not fertile and the others stopped growing very early on. This is my first time hatching quail, but I have done a lot of reading to prepare and think I got it...guess we will see by the end of this week. Excited!! :)

I'm trying to find more local (MS) hatching eggs, but not having much luck. Does anyone have a good source that you order from that has a good hatch rate for shipped eggs?

The batch i am putting in tomorrow came from Amazon as well Turnbull farms?

My first batch I bought on ebay and only 3 out of 17 hatched, I bought 6 adults amonth or so back and I have 10 of their eggs in now and it looks like 9/10 will hatch I hope at least they are candled good.

The batch i am putting in tomorrow came from Amazon as well Turnbull farms?

My first batch I bought on ebay and only 3 out of 17 hatched, I bought 6 adults amonth or so back and I have 10 of their eggs in now and it looks like 9/10 will hatch I hope at least they are candled good.

Yep that who/where I got them from. I had one crack in shipment and out of 24, 11 are in lockdown. Will know in a couple days how they turn out.

Hope you get a good hatch rate w yours. Though 11/24 isn't terrible bad on shipped eggs. Guess I got spoiled when I ordered a dozen chicken hatching eggs and was sent 16 and hatched 12 of the 13 that made it to lock down :)

Call me crazy to do back to back to back hatching

My first batch did not do so good only hatched 3 out of 17 but i never candled them

my second batch I only put in 10 as these came from my own quail and I put them in on the 17th due to hatch on 4/1 and I candled all these 9/10 look ok

Tomorrow I am getting my second batch of eggs from ebay and putting in 10 more of my own so 34 eggs go in the bator tomorrow my basement is going to look funny with 3 different quail brooders and 2 chick brooders as I pick up my meat chickens and another batch of egg layers the second week of April so in total 5 brooders will be going on at once.

One question how long do you keep Quail in a brooder with a heat lamp??? my first 3 are almost all feathered out and they are only 10 days old

Oh did I call myself crazy I am also building my rabbit hutchs, another chicken coop and a meat chicken coop, and 3 more quail pens all in the next 3 weeks busy busy

I heard decrease temps and they can go without heat/light after four weeks.

I was told that they were just like chickens, 95 1st week, decrease temp by 5 degrees weekly and can be outside after 3 weeks. This was from and bobwhite breeder that I purchased some of his cages from.

What size mesh do you keep the babies on and when can they be on the 1/2" hardware cloth??
First question: My brooder is a large cardboard box with a towel on the bottom. Each day, I replace the poop infested towel with a new one.
As for the second question, my chicks are less than 2 weeks old right now, but they will go into a cage made of 1/2 inch hardware cloth when they hit 5 weeks; after a gradual move from a heated brooder to a cage in my living room, then the cage will be set on a rack I am making that will be on my back porch.

First question: My brooder is a large cardboard box with a towel on the bottom. Each day, I replace the poop infested towel with a new one.
As for the second question, my chicks are less than 2 weeks old right now, but they will go into a cage made of 1/2 inch hardware cloth when they hit 5 weeks; after a gradual move from a heated brooder to a cage in my living room, then the cage will be set on a rack I am making that will be on my back porch.

i dont see a question in there.

I use paper towel for the first week and then add pine shavings ( I change the papertowl daily and pine shavings) they sure grow super fast

My first quail hatch is due tomorrow, but I'm so hoping to see some action this evening!! Have to set the brooder for them tonight spit will be nice and warm when they arrive. Eeek I'm so excited!! Hope I get a good turn out from what I have left!

Back
Top Bottom