all who are hatching quail

I usually average about 80-85% hatch rate and then lose another 5-10% during the first week. I have about 400 bobs that are 5 weeks old after setting 500 eggs. My second hatch is just 3 weeks old and still have about 425 alive. I have found humidity to be important the last 2-4 days before they hatch.

My family thinks I'm nuts! I set 228 coturnix eggs last night. All from my young birds that most of are going to freezer camp tomorrow. Going to have fried quail for Father's Day lunch. If I get 80% hatch rate don't know for sure where I will put all of them. May have to build another pen, more work for my DH. Lol.

I pump the little guys full of nutrients and probiotics as soon as they dry off from hatching with an 90% hatch rate. So far I have not lost any in that usually dreaded first week. Maybe I've been lucky but I credit probiotics. I've always done the same with my parrot hatches. The quail are kind of new to me but incubation and baby birds not so new.

It amazes me constantly at how pet bird nutrition has not seemed to cross over to the commercial or game bird / poultry world yet. I was reading an article on parrot nutrition and health problems and realized there really isn't a huge difference in nutritional needs between game birds, poultry, and parrots certain species aside. Has anyone else thought about this. I grow most of my parrots food including seed and I am wondering why I am buying food for my quail and chickens. I raise meal worms and have a vast array of fruit, veggies, fodder sprout and seeds. I think I may have to try it with one group and see what happens. Use commercial with one group, grown food, and both. Has anyone who has parrots wondered the same thing?

Last edited:
Definitely agree with you about the probiotics and added nutrients, especially right after hatching. I don't have any parrots now, but basically feed all the same to my other birds, as they all eat both pellets and seed. Live crickets are a favorite with all of them, but sprouts, broccoli, spinach, and wheat grass are also a hit with everyone. I haven't been as adventurous enough as you, FireFlyNights, with regard to raising my own food. Your awesome hatch rate shows that you are providing your breeding birds well with your homegrown goodies, and this is my goal for my own birds, but the added greens, live insects, PB-8, are all that I am doing currently. I'm just not so sure that I could commit to start fermenting foods/seeds (as I've read some breeders do) and raising my own worms...that would be a bit of a leap for me.

I don't ferment because I am in Florida and I have really hard time keeping the temp right and keeping bugs out plus I worry about unwanted bacterial growth. Maybe someday. I'm not that brave either. As far as growing food I grow for myself so I figure I should grow for them. Though they still eat better than I do. At least healthier. Sometimes I wish I had someone deciding what I get to eat. LOL! ; - )

Anyone here hatch buttons? I set 35 eggs (shipped) 8 days ago. Three got broken because I had to be away for a couple days and my 11 year old took care of turning for me (he did an awesome job despite the broken eggs as he is autistic) candled this morning and tossed 9 clears so that leaves me with 23 that either had good air cells and veining or the shells were too dark to see through. Is this a descent incubation so far? I'm hoping to gget at least three or four pairs out of this batch.

Anyone here hatch buttons? I set 35 eggs (shipped) 8 days ago. Three got broken because I had to be away for a couple days and my 11 year old took care of turning for me (he did an awesome job despite the broken eggs as he is autistic) candled this morning and tossed 9 clears so that leaves me with 23 that either had good air cells and veining or the shells were too dark to see through. Is this a descent incubation so far? I'm hoping to gget at least three or four pairs out of this batch.
Sounds like you are doing a good job with your button eggs. I don't bother candling button quail eggs because it can be difficult to see veins.

Back
Top Bottom