all who are hatching quail

Hello----I am new to quail. I am in PA and don't have an incubator yet. I want to keep costs down.

So I was thinking of getting one male and 2-3 female coturnix quails to start off with.

do you think the most inexpensive incubator is still do-able...............or do I have to get something more expensive?

any advice would be appreciated.

The reasons I want to raise coturnix quail are
---the attractive egg shells
-- the eggs nutrituional value
---to learn about hatching etc since I cannot have chicken chicks right now
--possible for quail meat

Hello----I am new to quail. I am in PA and don't have an incubator yet. I want to keep costs down.

So I was thinking of getting one male and 2-3 female coturnix quails to start off with.

do you think the most inexpensive incubator is still do-able...............or do I have to get something more expensive?

little giants work fine with or with out egg turner. still air or forced both work. I started with still air little giant, move to forced air and then move onto the bigger sportsman. I have hatched out at 80% in all of them I do recommend turner as its easier to get the hatch rate up but first few hatches were done with me turning the eggs by hand 3 times a day. hope this all helps

So, I'm assuming that the little guys don't pop out all at once, the reason I ask, is that several of the eggs have holes in them, but show no sign of additional activity. Im hoping they didn't die on the way out, but haven't a clue.
hmm.png

Check out incubator warehouse online. They sell good incubators, and have some good package deals. You can go cheap, but it requires more work on your part, turning the eggs manually, keeping the incubator in a warm (and more importantly stable) environment. One thing I would not skimp on is a good themp/humidity gauge, not the one that comes with the 'bator, but a 2nd good one. It will save you a lot of dud eggs.

Check out incubator warehouse online. They sell good incubators, and have some good package deals. You can go cheap, but it requires more work on your part, turning the eggs manually, keeping the incubator in a warm (and more importantly stable) environment. One thing I would not skimp on is a good themp/humidity gauge, not the one that comes with the 'bator, but a 2nd good one. It will save you a lot of dud eggs.
can you recommend a brand or link for me to look into?

I will google incubator warehouse...............unless a better link or name can be found.

can you recommend a brand or link for me to look into?

I will google incubator warehouse...............unless a better link or name can be found.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/

Honestly, for the styrofoam incubators they are likely all the same, or pretty close. What I can recommend, is getting the fan option, and a 2nd thermometer/humidity gauge. I also opted for the auto egg turner with the quail rails. I spent $171 total and they installed the fan for me. I ordered it late saturday, and it showed up tuesday.

Yay!!! Congratulations!! Now I'm really worried about mine though. Still nothing, and weren't yours due to hatch tomorrow??? I set mine on the morning of the 1st.

I put mine in the incubator on the afternoon of the first. I put them in lockdown saturday night. Yesterday I got nothing, and the first one did not pop until this afternoon (I got home around 4, and he was still fairly wet). I have had eggs rocking, and some cracks and holes appearing, but no more chicks. My guess is that Ill get more tonight and tomorrow. I got my first one on day 17, so If anything they are a bit late.

Today is day 14 for my first batch this year, going into lockdown this evening, eggs from my JMF breeders. Looking forward to new tiny fuzzy butts :D. I have 75 more that arre 5 days along in the bator.

My roommate just watched two more pop out (there were none as of 5:30am when I left for work), and says we have 2 on the way, that will make 5/38. Pics when I get home.

Edit: the two are here, so that makes 5 confirmed.

Edit: as of 8am this morning count is up to 10 little ones. ITS A CHICKPLOSION!!!!!!
ya.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom