all who are hatching quail

I would think that floating the egg in water would kill a developing chick inside it though... I've been very careful to handle the eggs with dry hands because I had read somewhere they should never get wet. So when I saw a reference to "float testing" I was pretty confused.

37 out of 50 hatched do far this morning bob white

Last edited:
ok i hate to keep asking the same thing over but im gonna put 20 eggs in the incubator tomorrow morning then 5 or 6 a day(depending on how many they lay as it varies) for the next few days. trying to get a better hatch rate this time . i am gonna move my fan closer to my light bulb and hopefully that will keep less of a temperature variance. i was between 98.5 and 101.5 pretty often.
also s a brooder i was using a plastic tote. should i use an old aquarium i have instead of that when time comes? and also i was using a reptile light as a heat source its a red light is that ok or should i get a different bulb?if so what bulb? thats all i can think of right now im sure i'll ask more later :)

thanks for everyones help so far

John

i knew there was more
someone mentioned putting the eggs on end, last time i had them all on their sides. if i should put them on end then i just flip to other end every morning and night? so round end then pointy end over and over?

Last edited:
ok i hate to keep asking the same thing over  but im gonna put 20 eggs in the incubator tomorrow morning then  5 or 6 a day(depending on how many they lay as it varies) for the next few days. trying to get a better hatch rate this time . i am gonna move my fan closer to my light bulb and hopefully that will keep less of a temperature variance. i was between 98.5 and 101.5 pretty often.
also s a brooder i was using a  plastic tote. should i use an old aquarium i have  instead of that when time comes? and  also i was using a reptile light  as a heat source its a red light is that ok or should i get a different bulb?if so what bulb? thats all i can think of right now im sure i'll ask more  later  :)

thanks for everyones help so far

John
you'd be better off saving up eggs for a few days then adding a bigger group at once. The fewer times you open the incubator the better. I use a big tote as a brooder with a heat lamp and puppy training pee pads on the bottom. Works great for me.

you'd be better off saving up eggs for a few days then adding a bigger group at once. The fewer times you open the incubator the better. I use a big tote as a brooder with a heat lamp and puppy training pee pads on the bottom. Works great for me.
totally agree with titika more eggs are better then few at a time you can store eggs in carton for 6 days then incubate. your hatch rate should be just fine if the incubator is set right. as the brooder goes tote is fine as long as you aren't overcrowding them I use biggest tote you can get at walmart. light it better to use red less toe pecking from other birds but any heat lamp will work as long as it doesn't get too hot.

ok i got the temperature variances down in my home made incubator finally, i drilled bigger holes in the thermo and moved it closer to the light bulb. I'm varying between 99.5 to 100.9 so not to bad i guess. Idhound, are you saying if i use a red light the chicks wont bite each others feet?

also i have been collecting eggs for four days. i usually get 5 or 6 eggs a day from 8 girls. i have 4 regular courtnix and 4 A&M's females, and a male with each group. so i'll wait 1 more day and get 5 or 6 more eggs then put them in. oh also no one responded to the is it better to put the eggs pointy side up or down over laying them on their sides in the incubator.

Thanks John

Where are you all getting your fertile quail eggs from I am in Boise Id and would love to find a breeding pair or enough eggs to get started at the same time

Back
Top Bottom