Allergen free feeding

Candyhl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
I just wanted to let all those concerned that I have found a site pertaining to grain free feeding. Due to allergies, I have been looking for a method of feeding corn, soy and gluten free. I don't have my chickens yet but have been researching for a couple of years and will FINALLY be getting my chicks in the spring! The site is called "hopecentric" and is pretty interesting. I will definitely be following her. Thought there might bed others out there with the same concerns.:)

Quote: I read her ramblings, but I'm not impressed, since she's never really said anything USEFUL as to what she feeds her chickens.

It's mostly a lot of anti GMO rhetoric

My impression is she's a Yuppie who likes to listen to herself talk, and I bet before it's over she tries to sell you something.

Quote:
"hopecentric"
I read her ramblings, but I'm not impressed, since she's never really said anything USEFUL as to what she feeds her chickens.

It's mostly a lot of anti GMO rhetoric

My impression is she's a Yuppie who likes to listen to herself talk, and I bet before it's over she tries to sell you something.

I was taught, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

I wasn't asking for any negative opinions here. I simply thought someone besides me might find it interesting. If you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't need to worry about what you or your family eats, good for you. In the meanwhile, I for one am desperately searching for useful information for when I get my chickens. I know there are others in my situation and just happened across this woman's story and want to see how she is dealing with a very similar situation.

Last edited:
Quote: I was taught you should be HONEST with yourself as well as others.
Reality is she made several postings form May until July, and never ONCE said what she feeds her chickens.

There was no USEFUL information there at all.
That's not a "negative opinion" but rather a ":factual observation".

Quote: Did you find any on her site?
If it's there, I missed it.

I still think it's a set up for something she intends to sell

Have you looked into growing fodder? It is one of the best ways to go grain free. It is my understanding you can even feed wheat this way as celiac disease and gulten allergies are triggered by the actual grain rather than wheat grass or barley grass. It is also a good way to make mixing your own feed more cost effective because you are turn 1 lb of grains into 6 lbs of grass easily. A fodder diet will give your eggs a lovely rich orange color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

I feed a soy-free. corn free feed and then grow a wheat/barley/BOSS fodder mix and farm mealworms. The feed I buy is not gulten free. That will likely be much harder to track down so a full fodder diet may work out better for your goals.

I'm following her as well. I know of someone who has been looking for such a feed, so told her to look into going 100% free range/ no feed. But as I am new at this, I don't know if that is possible with cold, snowy winters.

I think the woman on the site is probably selling something, or will be soon, but I'm very interested to see what the product is.

I really want to find a soy free, corn free feed. ChickensRDinos-- what do you use?

If it turns out that she is selling something, then I guess it will be my option to buy or not.
After all, that's the majority of the internet. People selling whether little people or corporations.

Have you looked into growing fodder? It is one of the best ways to go grain free. It is my understanding you can even feed wheat this way as celiac disease and gulten allergies are triggered by the actual grain rather than wheat grass or barley grass. It is also a good way to make mixing your own feed more cost effective because you are turn 1 lb of grains into 6 lbs of grass easily. A fodder diet will give your eggs a lovely rich orange color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

I feed a soy-free. corn free feed and then grow a wheat/barley/BOSS fodder mix and farm mealworms. The feed I buy is not gulten free. That will likely be much harder to track down so a full fodder diet may work out better for your goals.

I am reading up and weighing my options. This is going to be something that I want to be prepared for to the best of my ability because this is what I want. I don't want it to become my husbands chore if you know what I mean. This is all mine. :)

I'm following her as well. I know of someone who has been looking for such a feed, so told her to look into going 100% free range/ no feed. But as I am new at this, I don't know if that is possible with cold, snowy winters.

I think the woman on the site is probably selling something, or will be soon, but I'm very interested to see what the product is.

I really want to find a soy free, corn free feed. ChickensRDinos-- what do you use?

Same here. Cold snowy winters so foraging will be limited even with a covered or partially covered run, I will still need to be able to supply them with sufficient food for, at minimum, 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom