Allergic to chickens? or something wrong with my flock?

maggie&thechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Central NC
I have had my chickens since last July when I got an order of chicks from McMurray. Everything seemed to be going along swimmingly until this spring when I began to get the itchies! My hand, arms and eventually my stomach would break out in a rash and itch whenever I handled a chicken or touched anything in the coop. I don't notice the chickens scratching a lot and I can't see anything crawling on them (or on me for that matter).

I took all the bedding out of the coop, set off a "flea bomb" with all the doors closed and left the chickens outside for a couple hours while it aired out. Then replaced the bedding and nesting material. I treated the chickens (except for the hen and chicks) with Eprinex, just in case.

I still itch when work with the chickens. Do you all think it's just me or them? Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: I'm not usually an allergic sort, ie. don't get poison ivy, rarely sensitive to plants. This is really different for me. (I am sensitive to bug bites though. Hate those fire ants!) This rash doesn't last very long like poison ivy would. It goes away in hours, not weeks, but I handle chickens every day so it's still a pain!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom