Allie & Bino, the albino orpington chicks

I have some updated pics of Allie and Bino. Throughout their lives, they've had pimple-ish, pus filled bumps on different areas of their bodies. They pop on their own and then form scabs. I thought they were ingrown feather follicles, but didn't want to post about them until I was sure what they were. Bino had some between his toes, and I noticed this today:

Teeny tiny feathers!

Here are some more pics from today (7 weeks old)

Last edited:
I have pictures!!! Allie and Bino moved into their tractor last night! Neither one of them like it, but Bino is handling the change in surroundings better than Allie. Allie is visibly stressed, not really coming out of the coop part much. When she does, she stands a little hunched and in one spot. Bino is more willing to come out but goes in every few minutes.

The tractor needs wheels and a little paint still, but otherwise it's finished. Oh, and a nest box. The pieces of wood going across the top of the run are for shade.

Allie and Bino are so much bigger in just the two weeks since I last posted pictures of them!They're ten weeks old, and growing a little slower now. I've never weighed them, but I'd be curious to see how much they do weigh because I feel they're smaller than a typical orpington.

They're getting better in the bug-catching department. It makes me so proud when I see them actually hit the bug that they're trying to peck at. Most of the time they're a few inches off, but they're getting a lot better. I think giving them smaller treats is helping.

Last edited:
Pictures!!!
1f60a.png

Allie girl
2764.png

Sad news... Bino has had to find a new home. The great thing is, he'll be going back to @chiques chicks.

Bino has been attacking Allie for the past few weeks. And when I say attacking, I mean trying to kill her. I thought maybe he was just trying to mate but was really clumsy and it was scaring Allie so she'd freak out. But it wasn't. He'd just grab her neck and start yanking/shaking his head back and forth like a dog does with a toy (or something they're trying to kill). I separated them 3 times for three days and within 30 seconds of putting them back together, he'd attack her again. It got to the point where she'd just hide sitting down with as much of her body as she could fit smashed inbetween the wall and the waterer. When I'd open the run door, she'd come running out, crouch down and put her head between my ankles. It was heartbreaking. I promised her then and there that she'd never have to worry about him hurting her ever again. She had missing feathers on the back of her neck and a broken blood vessel bruise (the kind older people get after they get bloodwork done and they can't find the vein). So for now, she's living in my main coop with two pallets made into an "L" and put against the corner of the coop.

Living with Bino has made her scared of all chickens. She hasn't quite figured out what the ducks are yet but doesn't seem to be that scared of them. When I bring her out to free range a little each day she makes sure I stay close and mostly just dwells in the shade. If the other chickens come around she gets nervous, but if the rooster (or my wacko dutch bantam hen) dance for her, she runs to me. Yesterday she spent about an hour sitting on my leg, and when I tried to put her down she freaked out and climbed back up. My mom witnessed it, and said "She seems to like people, why don't you look into making her a therapy chicken."

So I am. I emailed the Delta Society and asked if she could wear a diaper on our visits (because they said no animal can wear a poop catching device while there *except* birds can wear a Flight Suit. They only make those for small birds). If they give us the clear for a diaper (which I'm a little doubtful they will), then Allie will become a therapy chicken given she passes the assessment (which I'm sure she will).

I'm REALLY trying to make her a house chicken, but the parents are at a firm NO right now. Once Bino leaves next month, the tractor will be all hers. She likes people too much, I'd feel so bad making her stay out there. Oh well, I guess I'll work at it slowly.

Thought I'd leave an update on Bino.

After a month in solitary, I finally built a place for him and some ladies in my barn. They are confined in an indoor hoop coop 10x10. He currently has six girls with him, two albino and four of my lighter colored girls from the same flock who may vary the gene.

No real egg production yet, but they are all just approaching laying age.

He is very protective. He doesn't attack me, but does his best to keep himself between me and them. Always alert. I don't see any signs of abuse from him, but there are a few other rosters close by, although they can't get to him or the girls. I think that keeps him occupied!

Looking forward to egg production!

Back
Top Bottom