Allow me to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Karen62, May 22, 2019.

1. Karen62

Karen62 In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2019
    I started raising chickens on a commune and just never stopped. We didn't use to have a fence and our coop was an old barn which will probably fall over sometime. We have gotten laying hens from a local egg producer, agway chicks, chicks from a local breeder and we've had hens go broody. Most recently someone killed all our roosters, which were very mixed breed guys who were raised by a broody hen, so we have agway chicks plus incubator egg chicks. The first time we lost all our roosters and incubated eggs we didn't collect until several days after the roosters were killed and 32 eggs hatched and 3 didn't.

Right now the surviving hens are stuck in the barn because the critter cams are catching a fox in the fence and I can't figure out how she is getting in. I say "she" because last year she showed up with big kits in broad daylight and one was so intent on chasing a hen I almost stepped on it. I've never had an adult fox wantonly kill roosters but maybe she was having another training session. It is 6:30 now, and my husband just saw the fox outside the fence. Living in the country you realize a lot of "nocturnal" animals just avoid humans during the day. Guess that's enough intro for me.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I hope your fox problem clears up very soon. :fl

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<Click there to go to the thread.

BYC has an APP!

fldiver97, sourland, rjohns39 and 7 others like this.
  3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Hello and welcome to the BYC flock!! I have never seen a fox, but I know we have coyotes, hope I never come across them by my coop. Very sorry for your loss!

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Sorry that you are having that fox problem. It need's to be taken care of, as it will be back as you have seen. She most likely has a new litter, too! Good luck with the rest of your flock, the new chick's, and the hatch!

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

7. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!

8. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Welcome! Glad to have you here!

I wonder if the roosters got killed because they were on the front lines? Protecting the hens? I don’t know if that happens much or if it’s mostly a legend. Either way, good luck getting rid of that fox! Maybe electric fence?

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link above. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

fldiver97, sourland, rjohns39 and 3 others like this.
  10. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Welcome to BYC. I wish you luck with the fox problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: