Alls I wanted was two or three chickens......

We have 4 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 5 blue laced red Wyandottes, 4 sicilian buttercups, 4 buff orpingtons, 5 silver laced cochins, 4 partridge cochins, 5 golden laced Polish, 1 Americauna Roo, 6 Turkens, 4 Jungle Fowl bantams, 4 Rhode Island Reds. Next year we add Spanish White Faced, Banevelders, Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans. . I'm in the process of building two very large coops to go along with various smaller chicken tractors we already have that fit on our raised beds.

...and I just got my incubator.
tongue.png

I planned on starting small... Wanted 4 Barred Rock pullets and build a smallish coop..well...bought 10...Of diffrent varieties...And then got 4 ducks.
tongue.png

Its been so rainy here that I havent had time to do anything.. and the chicks are 3 weeks.
tongue.png

I was doing good on keeping just some laying hens until I begged hubby to let me get some chicks to replace the aging girls. Straight run chicks include roosters, which hubby didn't want since he is a light sleeper. Oopss. Then once the rooster grew up, I had to get an incubator to hatch more eggs...
Now I am a chicken addict and I love it! Mine are all LF except the silkies. Husband says I have 500 chickens, but I think 200 is a better estimate, you said chicks don't count, right? I am currently building chicken tractor number 4. And I have 9 coops, and a barn. And did mention the goats? Had 100 at one time, but i am down to about 20 plus babies. Good thing i don't have a full time job , the animals keep me busy....

Quote:
Also, if it has a name it doesn't count ... and "Number 51" IS TOO a name!!!!

gig.gif

lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

So that means I have NONE if chicks don't count and they all have names.... better go get some

Quote:
I feel for you. I did the same thing almost. I just wanted to get 2-3, so I went to tractor supply, was told I had to take 6, so I got the Golden Comets. Went home, decided since I already have that many I need as many Rhode Island Red as well. Went to get 6 Rhode Island Red, ended up driving home with 7 Barred Plymouth Rock, 6 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Buff Orpington.

Now instead of building a coop for 2-3 I had to "expand" my coop to accomodate all the hens I ended up with (20 chicks, hopefully all will be pullets) but am now building a coop that will accomodate up to 30. Love that chicken math!!!

My plan was to start with 4 and my coop also built around having 4.... but since Cleveland says I can have 6 I decided what the heck.... and ended up with 6.

We wanted 4-6 to start, that would be enough eggs for us.

I ordered 8 from the hatchery just in case one died during shipping and another turned out to be a roo
hu.gif
. Then I bought a tractor and two laying hens because it would be nice to have some eggs sooner and it was a good deal. Now we will have 10 chickens by the end of this week.

We are already thinking about meaties and turkeys for next year..... I see now how this chicken math works....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom