Almost 10 years after deciding I wanted chickens, I got my chicks.

smonizzle

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I joined in July 2013 and then chickened out. Well this spring we inherited a large coop and decided to get 6 chicks. 6 sounded like a reasonable place to start. We ended up with 20. I don't know what happened. I feel like a crazy person because we have no experience and just jumped right in.

I have 5 kids that are currently homeschooled. They helped pick out the chicks, so we have quite the variety. Jersey Giant, Americana, Easter Egger, Starlight Green Egger, Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Maran, Production Red, and a bantam.

We have the chicks in a big feeding trough with a lid and heat lamps on them. I guess we better hurry and get the coop and run ready. Suggestions and advice are always welcome haha. I forgot to mention I'm in NC.

I joined in July 2013 and then chickened out. Well this spring we inherited a large coop and decided to get 6 chicks. 6 sounded like a reasonable place to start. We ended up with 20. I don't know what happened. I feel like a crazy person because we have no experience and just jumped right in.

I have 5 kids that are currently homeschooled. They helped pick out the chicks, so we have quite the variety. Jersey Giant, Americana, Easter Egger, Starlight Green Egger, Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Maran, Production Red, and a bantam.

We have the chicks in a big feeding trough with a lid and heat lamps on them. I guess we better hurry and get the coop and run ready. Suggestions and advice are always welcome haha. I forgot to mention I'm in NC.
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Make sure the heat is only at one end of the trough and not the other. As soon as you get the coop predator proof move the chicks out to The coop and brood them there.
If you can make one or two walls of your coop open air with 1/2" hardware cloth securing it that would be very useful in your climate.

Back
Top Bottom