Almost 3 week old barred rock with comb. What do you think?

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
E3817FC0-1526-4F09-A8A9-E1CF1114E0FD.jpeg
C1C238E2-E0FC-4180-A36A-338AB4D1A8C9.jpeg
Hoping my 6 chicks are all hens. This is Buffalo. This bird has the biggest comb of all my 6 but I have all different breeds so nothing to compare to.

What do you think? Thank you!

Some chicks just grow their combs faster than others. Is Buffalo any bigger than the rest? Sometimes the roosters can be a little bigger than hens but time will tell.

Same size, in fact on the smaller end of the 6. The only one markedly bigger is the Easter Egger and I feel like she must have been a day or two older than the others since they were delivered at supposedly 3 days old by the time they got to the post office. The size difference between the EE and the others has been shrinking slowly over the 3 weeks.

The other thing about this BR is this chick has gotten every single one of the 5 or 6 daddy long legs I’ve dropped in the coop and run. The others don’t stand a chance when Buffalo spots a moving critter.

I am watching chicken TV while they enjoy some Run time before I kick them back to the coop, don’t trust them to go back and forth by themselves in inclement weather until they are feathered out. Just now she was eating out of the food dish and another chick dig up some sort of insect that was about 2” long, made a “I found food!!” Noise and within 5 seconds the BR had it and just devoured it. This chick is crushing the others’ dreams of having some live food snacks!

Lol! She sure seems to love food. BR hens are normally darker in color than roosters if that helps any. And if she turns out to be a rooster, saddle feathers normally start coming in at around 3 months. But you probably already know all this :lol:

Back
Top Bottom