Almost 30 weeks old and no eggs

msprey2g4e

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2016
Algonac, MI
Rather new to backyard chickens. I have an Isa Brown that is almost 30 weeks old and has not laid an egg yet but the roosters are breeding her. Her sister started laying back at 18 weeks old. Any ideas???

welcome-byc.gif
hello from NE Kansas!!

I would seem to think that if the rooster are mating she should be close to laying an egg. Quick couple of questions; How many brooding boxes do you have? Possible the other girls are hogging the space? Do you free range them? If you do free range might want to search the surrounding are for a hidden nest that could contain her eggs.

I have four boxes, 9 hens, not all are laying yet

they have a very large run and on weekend free range but nothing anywhere, I've looked

Could rooster stress be keeping her from laying? She's not really very friendly either.

your rooster to hen ratio is too small. 12 hens to one rooster is what suggested to ensure there is little favoritism. So your two Roos wanting to keep mateing with her could be keeping her from laying any eggs. Or she just is not ready to lay eggs yet. Is she getting run raw on her tail end from the boys?

Welcome to BYC!

So, all your birds are 30 weeks old?
FYI...they are called Pullets and Cockerels until one year of age, Hens and Cocks(or cockbirds or roosters) after one year of age.

2 cockerels and 9 pullets.....might be 1 too many boys, depending on their demeanor's.
Young cockerels can be pretty exuberant, and multiple males creates an environment of competition which ups the mating/dominance activity.
A 'good' and mature older cockbird will not mate a female that is not in lay,
most cockerels will often mount anything they can as they just don't know any better yet.
Mounting is also a dominance/submission behavior...if she is letting them mount her, it may not be to mate.

Does your girl in question have all the signs of laying?

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Rather new to backyard chickens. I have an Isa Brown that is almost 30 weeks old and has not laid an egg yet but the roosters are breeding her. Her sister started laying back at 18 weeks old. Any ideas???

And sometimes there will be one who for no apparent reason is just a late bloomer. The days are getting shorter with less light so that could also be a factor.
I had some a year ago and most started laying around the six month mark. One welsummer waited until over eight months old (I had almost given up on her), and then she turned into an excellent layer. Her olive egger daughters started laying right at the five month mark (But that was in summer when the days were longer.) and they also are excellent layers.
Hopefully she'll surprise you soon.

Back
Top Bottom