Almost 4 weeks old- bad behavior?

My baby girls are YELLING!! They have food, they have water..... what am I missing? I feel like they are screaming about something! Or is this just the age? (Not quite 4wks old)

Chain link can be iffy with chicks - small enough ones can squeeze out. If you don't have time to augment it with hardware cloth, something like cardboard ziptied in place could do in a pinch, or you'll just need to supervise.

Also since you mentioned shade cloth, is there shade available for them to use in the run area? Even if it's just an hour they still need to be able to get relief from heat if they need it, especially since many areas of the US (if that's where you are) have been extremely hot this year.
Their heat lamp is off per your suggestion. It’s about 70-75 degrees in the house. But they have been screaming MOST of the day. Is it the age? (4 wks) or am I missing something? They have food and water.......

Their heat lamp is off per your suggestion. It’s about 70-75 degrees in the house. But they have been screaming MOST of the day. Is it the age? (4 wks) or am I missing something? They have food and water.......

Other than turning off the heat lamp did you make any other changes? I would expect them to be upset at losing the heat lamp because they've become accustomed to having the light on at night, but that doesn't account for the daytime if you'd already been leaving it off during the day.

Hey mine are 5 weeks now so il tell u wat ive done x
1) this is normal for pullets and roos starting to get a pecking order in place id say let it be unless chick gets really hurt.
2) i just give mine chicken crumb for now then will go on to grower starter feed about 6-8 weeks.
3) i already give mine chick flint grit which is a bit thinner then normal grit just in case i put a tray in their enclosure to take a mud bath from 2 weeks onwards
4) i started letting mine outside for an hour or two when they were Round 2 weeks when warmer weather put them in a run in garden away from predators and so my older hens can start seeing them hut not able to hurt them
Hope this helps they say hi :)
Sam xx

Attachments

• 20200804_004639.jpg
    20200804_004639.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 4
Other than turning off the heat lamp did you make any other changes? I would expect them to be upset at losing the heat lamp because they've become accustomed to having the light on at night, but that doesn't account for the daytime if you'd already been leaving it off during the day.
They were fine last night w the lamp off but this morning one of them started complaining loudly! They are all quite loud right now. Are they coming into their voice? They just seem upset about something and I don’t read chicken lips very well yet.🐥

They were fine last night w the lamp off but this morning one of them started complaining loudly! They are all quite loud right now. Are they coming into their voice? They just seem upset about something and I don’t read chicken lips very well yet.🐥

If that's the only thing that's changed, I have to imagine that's what they're complaining about, but to be honest, I just let mine scream if they're unhappy with changes that I make...

Are they otherwise acting normal? Eating, drinking, pooping, etc?

If that's the only thing that's changed, I have to imagine that's what they're complaining about, but to be honest, I just let mine scream if they're unhappy with changes that I make...

Are they otherwise acting normal? Eating, drinking, pooping, etc?
As far as I can tell, the eating, drinking and pooping are on target. I guess I’ll just turn the TV up higher and hope they settle down eventually.LOL!!! Thanks for your timely responses. 💋💋💋

As far as I can tell, the eating, drinking and pooping are on target. I guess I’ll just turn the TV up higher and hope they settle down eventually.LOL!!! Thanks for your timely responses. 💋💋💋
One thing I didn’t get to do today was to handle them and put them in their larger play pen. Maybe they have pent up energy? They kept looking up at me so expectantly - am I just feeling guilty?
incessant peeping is a sign they are cold. Are they huddling together? Are they in a draught?
Thank you Chicalina. You are absolutely right! I turned their light back on and they immediately settled downed! It’s 75 degrees in the house so I thought they were fine. Live and learn!

Back
Top Bottom