Almost a tragedy!

You might need to put Kilz on the ceilings and walls and just repaint...that is alot of work and expensive too, ...but maybe the only way to totally eliminate the smell. Insurance might cover it??
..and I know what you mean about the smell....I cant NOT stand the smell of plastic burning either. Our 'lovely neighbor' keeps a barrel burning all the time
roll.png
it seems and I think he burns his plastic stuff in it .
somad.gif

Glad your experience was not as bad as it could have been...and you and your home are all safe

hugs.gif

My friend had a house fire and the lady at the red cross told her to use a cup of pine-sol in with the wash. It really helped and was alot cheaper than a dry cleaner. I'm sorry about the fire and wish you the best of luck!
hugs.gif

Thank you all for your replies. We did call the insurance co. and they recommended a couple of things, but mostly common sense stuff. The house is starting to smell a little bit better. Hopefully when the rain stops this weekend, the moisture in the air will let up, and things can actually air out really well.
bow.gif

My ladies are still doing well, and continue to give myself and the children lots of joy!
love.gif
We spent an hour with them this morning just holding and petting them. I'm so tired after yesterday, I decided it's ok to relax while the washing machine keeps going...load after load after load....
rant.gif

Oh well, 1 day at a time...just so blessed we still have a stinky home!
celebrate.gif

I think it time for sticky to remind everyone of the dangers of the red brooder bulbs. This has been happening a lot lately. Sometimes we forget about little things that may seem like common sense, but in reality, we forget, we're just human. I'm so happy that you got their in time. Someone was watching over you.

Regards,

Ryan

Quote:
yeah...we just had a fire blow thru our area (Santa Barbara, CA) and we have friends that lost their homes completely! Here are some amazing pics of our friend's homes...or lack of...I'd take a stinky home any day!!!
smile.png

ParrisResidence-1.jpg

MarionsHome.jpg

And the remains of a three story HUGE house
sad.png

MarionsHome2.jpg

MarionsHome3.jpg

Thank you for posting about this. My hubby and I have been having a "discussion" about leaving the red heat lamp light on when we're not home. The very thought of a house fire should be enough to settle that.

It's a very real possibility so spread the word and save someone else having to suffer through it!

I used two red heat lamps in my stock tank brooder.

To prevent them from falling in or getting knocked down by flying chicks, I had them clamped to the backs of metal folding chairs proped up behind the stock tank; I then wrapped the cord around the chair back so the lamp wasn't going anywhere.

I was afraid of that too. The 250 watts seemed so hot so I opted to go with a regular white 100 watt light bulb. They were inside and I covered part of their cage to keep the heat in. It worked out for me okay. I am just glad you are okay. Maybe some of the fire restoration companies can sell you one of their products?

Where are the chicks now ? Are they still in the house ? Be careful what you spray around them, they are very sensitive to airborn sprays , fumes and such. Some are deadly to chicks. If I was gonna go around spraying stuff I would put them outside for a while , while I was doing this.

BTW, glad everyone is okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom