Almost finished with new coop...now on to the run. Suggestions welcome

LovinMyNewChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
We have just about completed our coop -- at least far enough along to put our 3 week old chicks in it. I'll post pics if I can (I'm new). Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Here are a few things we *think* we may need to address as the chicks grow: 1) we may need to add a slanted roof over the nest boxes to keep them from roosting on the edges and getting the boxes dirty; 2) all of our roosts are not higher than our nest boxes - I just read that they should be to keep the hens from roosting on the nest boxes; 3) someone said they think our roosts are too far apart and the hens may fall while trying to hop from one to another - any thoughts?

We live in an area with very hot Summers and mild Winters, so we made the floor almost all hardware cloth. We did put some thick painted plywood right in the doorway and down the middle for us to walk on. But for now (since the chicks are so small), we put boards down over the hardware cloth and covered the floor with shavings. But once they have all their feathers (or it gets hotter - we've had some unusually cool weather lately), we'll take the boards up. We also added ventilation at the top of the walls on two sides, also using hardware cloth. On the South side, we added a window (salvaged from a home remodel), and plan on putting hardware cloth over it. Our main concern here is predators. As you can see from the pics, we haven't finished the run yet. We do have the posts set, the trench dug, and the hardware cloth attached for the bottom section. After a fox killed all of our neighbor's 11 chickens last week, we're rethinking our design. He had his wire buried 12 ", and the fox tunneled under the fence and up into the pen and took all his pullets during the middle of the day. Since then, we've seen several fox in our yard, driveway, and pasture at all time of the day and evening. Now we're going to add an apron to the bottom. And we will be enclosing the top, too, as we have a lot of other predators as well.

We also have to finish the pop-door.
Here is day 1:
92267_chicken_coop_005.jpg

92267_chicken_coop_006.jpg

framed up:
92267_chicken_coop_022.jpg

attaching siding from a home remodel:
92267_chicken_coop_029.jpg

The egg doors:
92267_chicken_coop_066.jpg

Window, also salvaged from a home remodel:
92267_chicken_coop_075.jpg

almost done:
92267_chicks_in_new_coop_009.jpg

92267_chicks_in_coop2_011.jpg

92267_chicks_in_new_coop_014.jpg

92267_chicks_in_new_coop_017.jpg

92267_chicks_in_new_coop_021.jpg

92267_chicks_in_new_coop_023.jpg

One of the chicks in her new home:
92267_chicks_in_coop2_028.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! The pink boards were just studs we bought at Harry's Building Materials. Our lowest roost is 24" from the floor, which is the same height as the board in front of the nests. We read that the others should be 12" over and up, and 16" apart. We couldn't get them quite that far apart in the space we have, so they are a little closer together. The top roost is about 12" from the wall.

Hi There,
Your coop and run look awesome! How big is your coop and how far apart did you space the boards on your run??? And what did you use for wire??? Just trying to finalize my plans and see what others have done. Thanks for your help and again great job!!! Andrea

I love the color choices - very eye catching. I'd put a slanted roof on the nest boxes. I didn't for the first few years and always had a mess, a hen would always try to sit on the edge and poop on eggs or another hen. I'm not sure about the roosts vs nest box height, however I don't think the roosts are to far apart. I've got a bantam brahma and a few bantam polish that have no issues roosting 6 feet up with my pigeons. I think most chicken breeds would be able to use your roost set-up fine. Looks great
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom