Almost Finished with our New Chicken House!

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
New House is 8 x 16. We still need to add steps,paint,trim,hardware wire the window and are waiting on the autmatic door. MY chickens will be free-ranging.The house was built under the awning of the big barn.
My husband and son worked very hard, I am proud of them!

Last edited:
VERY nice! I like to see hanging feeders, and I also use ladder style roosts. Really good job! Do you have the feeder down that low in anticipation of young chicks needed to use it? If not, raise them to about chicken head height; not too high for the shorter birds to feed from it. That way they won't beak the feed out of it onto the floor.

LOVE the size of your chicken house!

Wow. I wonder if my chicken coop will ever be quite that well built! Your husband and son have done an amazing job
big_smile.png

Aww should have checked this out before posting my thread. That looks awesome. I reckon I might need to steal some of your decor ideas. Might have to look in the local second hand store for some shelving to use, and we have Dairy Farmers mik depot just up the road to pinch some crates. :D Well done. It looks fantastic

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think we should have made the nestbox holder smaller and maybe stacked some on the bottom, they are laying underneath it. Also, they don't seem to like
the holes in the crates when they try to situate themselves- I think I will go to the dollar store and get some cheap mousepads (slick ones you can clean) to put in the bottom.
Quote:
Check out the lumber!
We're in Oregon! My husband works in a sawmill and friends work in a plywood mill. We paid $5.00 a sheet for 10' shop plywood. I also paid $30.00 for the door and for the window from a local place that recycles building materials!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom