almost had new babies today...heartbroken instead :(

Here they are cuddled up on me last night sleeping. :)

They are very friendly. They weren't so much when I initially picked them up at the store, but once I got them home and settled it's like they knew I wasn't scary anymore. They just clamor to get on me or around me, and follow me around the house as fast as their little legs will carry them, lol. They keep hopping out of their box to get to me too, and that's where all the food, water, and heat is, so they must think I'm something special. <3
I was laughing at them running up my chest last night and one of them starting pecking at my teeth, lol. Funny little critters for sure.

It's still a little bittersweet though because I keep wondering what the other babies would have been like. :(

Last edited:
I completely agree! Order from Metzers!! I lost all but one duck in my order from Ideal. Re-ordered through Metzers and they were all healthy and happy with grogel and a heatpack. I could tell an obvious difference between the health and activity of my Metzer ducks compared to my one surviving one from Ideal too.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was very surprised that Ideal refused to overnight if I paid for it or include a heat pack. It's nice to know there's a company who really cares. It was actually a video by John Metzer that I watched yesterday to learn about vent sexing. I thought that was very cool of him to do that.

To be fair, all of the Pekins my friend had in the same order as mine were perfectly happy and healthy-looking. After they got fed and watered most were running all around, jumping and playing. Even most of the roos made it alive. Just broke my heart even more to know that mine were still lying in the shipping box though. :( I just don't want it to seem like I'm just bad-mouthing them, they're not horrible, there were just a few things I think they should do differently.

So cute, and they are obviously imprinting with you very quickly, and YES, you ARE something special to them anyway! You are their first food and water source, their first real warm body, OMG, you have me going, want to order some right now. Will have to take a deep breath and get ahold of myself. Good luck with them, they should be fine, and that nightmare of your other experience will fade. Will never forget mine either, but it does get better. Just enjoy whatcha got now.

They are very friendly. They weren't so much when I initially picked them up at the store, but once I got them home and settled it's like they knew I wasn't scary anymore. They just clamor to get on me or around me, and follow me around the house as fast as their little legs will carry them, lol. They keep hopping out of their box to get to me too, and that's where all the food, water, and heat is, so they must think I'm something special. <3
I was laughing at them running up my chest last night and one of them starting pecking at my teeth, lol. Funny little critters for sure.

It's still a little bittersweet though because I keep wondering what the other babies would have been like. :(
Ah, so cute! Glad you were able to get some ducklings-they have definitely imprinted on you which should make it easy to teach them to come to you when you move them outside! Enjoy them!

well, aren't they adorable! try and not worry, it's not your fault the other ended so poorly, sadly it happens, not to sound cold.. just even when we did our own hatching last year we had loses and those were duck raised, sadly, life and death are part of the experience.

Back
Top Bottom