Almost there

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosinsk1772, Sep 6, 2014.

1. rosinsk1772

rosinsk1772 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    So this is my first time with a broody hen, and I put ten fertilized eggs under her which she has been sitting on since. We're at day 6 with no problems. My question is when the chicks hatch they are in an elevated nesting box. Do I need to move them to a brooder or since they were born in the coop they'll be fine in the coop? My other question is will they be able to eat the layer feed the rest get?

2. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    They should not eat the layer food. I personally think you should remove them to a brooder. The chances that they could be injured or killed would be high if you left them in the coop. Brood them separately and feed them a starter food.

3. rosinsk1772

rosinsk1772 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    Do I need to give them anything special medication wise the day their born? I've never hatched chicks before only raised chicks that were a few days old

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

If you can make a small cage within the hen house and move the broody and her chicks into it once the chicks have hatched or even move the broody and nest now, then that is best in my opinion so that the other hens can maintain contact and see the chicks when they have hatched without being able to touch them. If you leave the broody where she is, it might be helpful to put some cardboard across the front when the chicks start hatching, just so that you don't wake up one morning and find one or 2 have fallen out an couldn't get back.
    I let them out after a few days of running around in the cage. This gives the broody a chance to get the hang of keeping them together without risk of losing any. I also chock the cage up a couple of inches (stand it on bricks) after I let them out, and leave chick feed in there, so that the chicks can run underneath and get out of danger from other hens and also access their chick crumbs without all the other hens guzzling it.
    I don't give any medication to my chicks and only lost 1 out of 14 of my first brood and my second brood of 8 are all doing well so far. If they are broody reared then they are more resilient to infection than if they are incubator and brooder hatched and reared. A treat of natural yoghurt, scrambled egg and chick crumb mixed to a soft mush, every few days helps keep their digestive system working well and makes you a special person to be friends with!
    Other than that, just sit back and enjoy!

Best wishes

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by