Almost time for hatch!

Unicornlife3316

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Bryan, TX
I posted a few weeks ago about my guineas laying in the chicken coop and sitting on eggs safely. After a couple run ins with a rat snake I have 12 eggs left set to hatch this weekend!

I plan on taking the keets from momma when they hatch (is this a good idea?) - I have a separate pen they can go in with heat/water/food and it’s predator proof, so that’s where I’d like them to grow out until they rejoin the flock.
Anything I’m missing?

I posted a few weeks ago about my guineas laying in the chicken coop and sitting on eggs safely. After a couple run ins with a rat snake I have 12 eggs left set to hatch this weekend!

I plan on taking the keets from momma when they hatch (is this a good idea?) - I have a separate pen they can go in with heat/water/food and it’s predator proof, so that’s where I’d like them to grow out until they rejoin the flock.
Anything I’m missing?
I think it is a great idea to take the keets away. It will give them much higher chances of survival.

Anything I’m missing?
Exciting!!! I’ve been taking eggs away from Viceroy, every day. I think I’m going to leave six fertile eggs with her at the same time I set a group in the incubator. That way, if she quits, the eggs can just join the incubator. If she actually hatches the eggs I’ll play it by ear, I’d love to have her integrate birds since integration has been so difficult. I’m mostly concerned that other guineas would attack the keets... Eager to hear updates on your hatch!

Exciting!!! I’ve been taking eggs away from Viceroy, every day. I think I’m going to leave six fertile eggs with her at the same time I set a group in the incubator. That way, if she quits, the eggs can just join the incubator. If she actually hatches the eggs I’ll play it by ear, I’d love to have her integrate birds since integration has been so difficult. I’m mostly concerned that other guineas would attack the keets... Eager to hear updates on your hatch!

Oooo exciting!! I tried an incubator hatch last year but during lockdown my humidity dropped unexpectedly overnight and my keets didn’t make it, I was pretty upset.

She’s still sitting. Today is day 27, so I’m expecting little pips in the next day or so if anything is fertile and going to hatch! This will be my first ever hatch on the farm so I’m nervous and excited at the same time.

I know it’s so dumb to worry about because these birds have hatched their keets for centuries without human intervention but I hate the eggs hatching in the dirty floor of the coop LOL it’s just a dirt floor with a little bit of hay.

Oooo exciting!! I tried an incubator hatch last year but during lockdown my humidity dropped unexpectedly overnight and my keets didn’t make it, I was pretty upset.

She’s still sitting. Today is day 27, so I’m expecting little pips in the next day or so if anything is fertile and going to hatch! This will be my first ever hatch on the farm so I’m nervous and excited at the same time.

I know it’s so dumb to worry about because these birds have hatched their keets for centuries without human intervention but I hate the eggs hatching in the dirty floor of the coop LOL it’s just a dirt floor with a little bit of hay.
Lol on nest hygiene!!! Me too!

Me: can I clean that nest for you? Freshen the shavings a bit?
Viceroy: I hate you and will attack you! Don’t touch my eggs!

At first, I could just wave the stick and get her off the eggs. I’ve had to ramp up the harassment more and more to get her off her to collect new eggs, but I had not lifted the whole nest box up as I didn’t want to totally freak Viceroy out and have her abandon the nest. My DD got eggs for me as I was making dinner. She walked right over and lifted up the nest box. She said that Viceroy looked shocked and traumatized, then I had a hard time getting the guineas into the coop that night!:th

Attachments

• 7C6EE657-D133-4457-A747-E1690CDDD3C5.jpeg
    7C6EE657-D133-4457-A747-E1690CDDD3C5.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 1
Lol on nest hygiene!!! Me too!

Me: can I clean that nest for you? Freshen the shavings a bit?
Viceroy: I hate you and will attack you! Don’t touch my eggs!

At first, I could just wave the stick and get her off the eggs. I’ve had to ramp up the harassment more and more to get her off her to collect new eggs, but I had not lifted the whole nest box up as I didn’t want to totally freak Viceroy out and have her abandon the nest. My DD got eggs for me as I was making dinner. She walked right over and lifted up the nest box. She said that Viceroy looked shocked and traumatized, then I had a hard time getting the guineas into the coop that night!:th

How long u til hatch? I noticed my girl was getting more aggressive and now I know why... we have 2 babies so far!!

Attachments

• 2470682F-9A60-4CC1-81E8-DC8396631817.jpeg
    2470682F-9A60-4CC1-81E8-DC8396631817.jpeg
    816.4 KB · Views: 2
How long u til hatch? I noticed my girl was getting more aggressive and now I know why... we have 2 babies so far!!
Oh how adorable is that picture!!!! :love Congratulations!!! I’d love to hear how it all goes.

Viceroy has been sitting broody for a little more than a week, and I just put real eggs under her yesterday, so we are only on Day 1!

Oh how adorable is that picture!!!! :love Congratulations!!! I’d love to hear how it all goes.

Viceroy has been sitting broody for a little more than a week, and I just put real eggs under her yesterday, so we are only on Day 1!

My Girl is being quite aggressive today, with SEVEN babies under her! She bit my finger while I freshened her food and water LOL

This girl doesn’t have a name... I guess I should change that now 😂

Attachments

• E0C00987-001D-410C-AC54-34D734C40617.jpeg
    E0C00987-001D-410C-AC54-34D734C40617.jpeg
    748.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom