aloha it's Gerald from hawaii

kun3cat

Hatching
Dec 18, 2015
Got some hand me down hens in june they laid fine up until sept October...now its December and haven't had eggs since...want to learn more...don't know if the molt had something to do with it or are they old or not enough light...any suggestions mahalo

Aloha, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Which area of Hawaii are you in? My family and I live in Hawaii for 23 years, first on the big island and then on Oahu. Molting will definitely affect their laying as hens stop laying while they are molting. If that is the cause of their not laying, they should begin laying again when they finish molting. Other things that can cause hens to stop laying are broodiness, lack of sufficient light as light striking their pineal gland stimulates them to lay, stress (from predators in the area, barking dogs, a move from one location to another, too many roosters in your flock over-breeding your hens, etc.), poor health caused by illness, mite or lice infestations, and old age, etc. can cause your hens to stop laying. Also if your hens are being free ranged, they could be laying somewhere else besides their nesting boxes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck wi da' flock.

Last edited:
We live on the northshore of oahu..yes I've noticed that the molt is close to done but i took them off the ground and put them up in the up coop with a hay box...i think light is a factor being that they in a pretty shady area and it's pretty dark in the coop...what do you suggest do i wait awhile,do i put them back into a scratch pen...do i try adding a light and how does that operation works..all the help the better....the kids love learning the ways of old..and wanna get some more birds what breeds do you recommend we love brown eggs...but much aloha Michael for the knowledge it's greatly appreciated...

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! My hens too are not laying right now, due to moult and lack of daylight hours. Michael has left you some great advice and covered your question very well.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Aloha Gerald, it's nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do. Michael gave you the roll call of reasons for not laying eggs . Please let us know when she starts up again.

We live on the northshore of oahu..yes I've noticed that the molt is close to done but i took them off the ground and put them up in the up coop with a hay box...i think light is a factor being that they in a pretty shady area and it's pretty dark in the coop...what do you suggest do i wait awhile,do i put them back into a scratch pen...do i try adding a light and how does that operation works..all the help the better....the kids love learning the ways of old..and wanna get some more birds what breeds do you recommend we love brown eggs...but much aloha Michael for the knowledge it's greatly appreciated...

You're welcome. Assuming none of the other problems I mentioned are preventing them from laying, you can add supplemental lighting to their coop. Just make sure that it's on a timer. The light can come on early before the sun rises in the morning, but make certain it shuts off before the flock returns to the coop to roost at sunset or you'll mess up their laying cycle.

Hi Gerald,
welcome-byc.gif

I'm dealing with molting and fewer daylight hours myself right now, it's very common this time of year. I don't use supplemental light, I prefer the girls just to do their natural thing and am waiting for them to pick up in laying again soon. Today is the winter solstice so from here on, the days will be slowly growing longer!

Good luck to you with your flock, it sounds like you're really enjoying them!

Back
Top Bottom