Alone chick

The pecking chick

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2020
Hello everyone I have a baby chick that’s alone and all her brothers and sisters are much larger and Mature so there in the coop could I let her out Temperatures Get as low as 8 degrees Celsius and as high as 20 degrees Celsius as we head into spring it gets warmer every week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 25
That chick is NOT ready to go outside. I highly suggest finding another chick and putting them together in a brooder and keeping them inside until at least 6 weeks of age; or whenever they are fully feathered out. Chickens are social creatures - they need friends or they can get depressed and die. And chicks at that age need someone to huddle with for warmth. In the meantime can you put a stuffed animal in there for it to huddle with? I’ve heard of people doing that until they can get friends for a lone chick.

That's 6 weeks old? Most likely a runt then, or failure to thrive (less likely if it's already 6 weeks). Would be ideal if you could keep it with its hatchmates (or at least in an enclosure with option of heat (heat plate/pad) in line of sight of the others) but it may struggle since it's obviously behind the others in terms of development.

Back
Top Bottom