Already Addicted - Chick Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by royalrock, Mar 15, 2012.

1. royalrock

royalrock New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    Got my first chicks a few weeks ago and it's going great! So well in fact that I am considering getting a few more!

What breeds would you suggest for someone who is definitely going to be heartbroken if the chickens don't learn to love me?

I currently have AmberLinks and Golden Comets. They are doing well and one of the Golden Comets is so quiet and easy to handle (she is the runt) I wish they were all that friendly and trusting. The rest aren't bad and generally settle after a minute and snuggle up to me and fall asleep but STILL take a few seconds to be caught for said bonding time.
    I've been sure to not chase or grab but sometimes I still need to sort of slowly corner them. I've been feeding them from my hand so often if I just stick my hand in there one will climb on, but it's not as lovey dovey as I'd like.

So, since I take it personally when my chicks aren't in love with me is there a particular breed I should consider for next time?

2. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I was going to suggest golden comets, until I read further. [​IMG] My next suggestion would be black australorps. The two we had last year were really sweet, sadly one turned out to be a rooster(along with our EE), so we had to give them away. [​IMG]

3. royalrock

royalrock New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    Just trying to bump this up!

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You are going to find that many people will suggest various breeds that are very friendly. But you are going to find hat every bird has it's own personality. I have experienced this first hand. I had an extremely friendly RIR that loved to be picked up and petted. Many people RIR are not a very friendly. The other 3 RIR that I currently ave are not nearly as friendly. I also had a White Leghorn rooster for awhile that liked to be held and petted. On the other hand, many people report that Buff Orpingtons are the friendliest birds. My two are not friendly. They don't like to be petted or held.

The other thing that you will find is that during the first few months their personalities can change multiple times. I have found that they are the least friendly in their "teenage" years. I have found that many tend get friendlier after they start laying.

The breeds I think are the friendliest based on my experience are SLW and GLW, followed by some Easter Eggers, then followed by Gold Sex Links.

5. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    I have 4 Black Australorps and one Barred Rock that I got this Tuesday. There really all freindly and will come right over to me when I go to clean up there poop and give them fresh water and feed

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    As breeds, cochins and silkies are notorious for being affectionate. The problem is, the more adaptable and instinct-driven the bird (ie the better it survives on its own), the less affectionate it will be. You kinda have to be realistic - these are birds. They are not dogs or cats and do not have actual affection. They are very survival-motivated. Bring them food and they will *adore* you. That said, my araucana bantam hen is the most affectionate I have and her boyfriend isn't half bad himself. The others are black australorps, partridge rocks and a columbian wyandotte. They are ok being petted but just tolerate being held. I didn't handle them daily as chicks because that is the relationship I want with them.

As has been mentioned, personalities within breeds vary significantly. I have one barred rock who will jump into your lap or run into the house at the first opportunity, five who don't care one way or the other and one who thinks the world is going to end every time she sees a hand coming at her. If you want super friendly birds, buy adults that are already super friendly birds. There's no way to know otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by