Already thinking about Spring!

michelle89

Songster
12 Years
Jan 11, 2011
I've decided to get two call ducks this spring, any information on the breed would help. I have just one duck now who spends her day hanging out with her chicken friends. When the time comes how do you introduce them to the flock? So many things to think about!! Okay, now Spring can get here already!!

Call ducks are great fun to raise. they do best in hutches up off the ground and away from predators because they are an easy target. i wouldnt recomend free range either because they like to fly and hawks or other birds would target them. you could make a pen on the ground as well covered with a swimming space. you just put your ducks together they are not like chickens and peck eachother. most they do is kind of lunge into eachother with thier necks. mostly males against other males, riht now my call are all together on ground then for winter up in the hutches

Good on you for being prepared and researching now - its shows what a responsible pet owner you are. . Too many people get caught up in the cuteness of baby animals in spring without truely considering what they are getting themselves in for and how they will manage the animals when its grown.

What breed of duck do you have now? That may make a difference in how its best to try and intergrate some new birds and is they can still all hang out with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom