Alright folks...is she a cockerel?

annabelle12

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Pennsylvania
5 1/2 week old Easter Egger. Bigger than everyone else and definitely would rank #1 at the top of the pecking order at this stage. Burly, long legs. No larger comb or vocalizations that I have noticed. Cannot keep a rooster but if she is a he there is a
a happy home waiting. Any tip-offs from more experienced folks from these photos? I have read about the differences but cannot tell. Thanks much.

I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that coloration is pretty much exclusively on pullets. If someone comes on with a lot more expertise, listen to them over me if we disagree.

Her build looks like a hen to me, but I have no experience with Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that coloration is pretty much exclusively on pullets. If someone comes on with a lot more expertise, listen to them over me if we disagree.
You are correct, that color is strictly female. Roosters would have black chests, with some shinny blotches of red. So, the above chick is indeed a pullet.

However, I will add that occasionally Easter Egger cockerels have a pullet appearance at first, and then will get blotchy red/black feathers later on. But, it is very likely that you just have a dominate fast growing female.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom