1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alternative Brooder Bedding Ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning,
    I'm tired of using pine shavings in the brooder. I'm wondering what other people are using in their brooders other than shavings. I'd really like to find something different!
    Thanks, Sonja

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Pine pellets, not quite as dusty and not as smelly--I'm using them in the cat box now too. [​IMG]

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I use pine pellets (used as horse or other animal bedding). They dissolve into sawdust when dampened, and keep things odor-free for the most part. Paper towels on top of that would make better footing for little ones, but I use mine as is.

4. mylilchix

Thanks for the ideas. Would wood pellets for woodstoves work?

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:My feed store said they were the same things.

I use the wood pellets, too and they're wonderful! They really cut down on the dust and the smell. You won't have to change the brooder near as often as you did with pine shavings.

6. mylilchix

I'll have to try that!! I have 28 chicks on pine shavings. It seems like I change the bedding, and by the end of the day they stink again. I don't like the dust either. Thanks for the help!!
    Sonja

7. kqsnider

kqsnider Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Thomasville, NC
    I haven't seen the pine pellets in my local farm and garden. Are they at the pet shops?

8. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I use straw. It's great because they can't kick it into the water as easily so the food and water stay cleaner. I only use it for older chicks because the tiny ones would probably have trouble walking on it.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use puppy pee pads for both chicks and ducklings.

10. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I started w/ pine shavings last year but I changed to play sand after a few weeks.. So easy to go in each day and scoop up poop w/ a kitty litter scoop. They loved dusting in it. When they moved into their coop I just dumped all the sand in their run. I'm starting out w/ sand this year, although I think I'll cover w/ paper towels for a couple of days till they figure out where the food is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by