Alternative chick feed

Mrs. Light Sussex

Songster
5 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Rechasim, Israel
I'm expecting the arrival of several chicks on Friday, unfortunately the feed store I usually get my feed from is out of chick starter. What can I give then to eat until I get some starter?

You can give them oat meal, or farina. It will not hurt them.
WISHING YOU BEST........:thumbsup
I'm looking for the best alternative.
Oatmeal, ground almonds, flax seed, corn meal, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, hard boiled egg ect. Some of the above, all off the above, none of the above?
How big can the pieces be to be handled by the little ones?

Don't they need higher protein?

Purina Flock Raiser is 20%protein. Most chick starters are 18-20%.

I feed Flock Raiser year round to chicks, pullets and adults - makes it easy when purchasing feed - everyone can eat it. Just offer oyster shell free choice for the girls that are laying.

Chicks need a complete poultry feed for their "age group". Either use Chick starter which is formulated to support chick growth or a Flock Raiser feed, that is formulated to be fed to a wide variety of fowl.

Chicks need at least 18-20% protein and a minimum amount of Calcium - this is why Chick Starter and Flock Raiser have very little Calcium. Do some comparative reading on the different formulas so you can see the nutritional analysis. It never hurts to offer poultry vitamins in your chicks water for a few days, especially if they have been shipped.

Both Chick Starter and Flock Raiser come in crumble form and won't be difficult for most chicks to eat. If your chicks are tiny (bantam) you may need to offer the feed made into a wet mash.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom