Alternative to sand for run?

Wondering what exactly you do (or don't) add to the chicken run for composting? Also wondering if adding all the food attracts animals? That was my husband's big reason for not wanting to do this.
I don't do a lot of treats, scraps, etc. Yesterday I threw a couple chunks of yellow squash out there and it was gone quick like. I am in a very rural area with everything from trash pandas to coyotes and haven't had any problems with predators coming around because there is no stink. I add anything that is in the yard, even pecan husks. When I refresh the pine shaving in the coop I throw all the old ones in the run with a sprinkle of their food so the ladies mix it all in. My husband has zero complaints because now there isn't 10lbs of chicken poop in bags in the trash, lol

Last edited:
Wondering what exactly you do (or don't) add to the chicken run for composting? Also wondering if adding all the food attracts animals? That was my husband's big reason for not wanting to do this.

For me it's mostly pine straw and live oak leaves because that's what I've got in the yard free for the raking.

Also garden waste and the husks, cobs, rinds, peels, stems, etc. from vegetable preparation including canning waste.

Wood chips from some tree work we had done. Grass clippings in season.

The occasional bale or two of straw when yard waste is short at the end of summer or, as will happen this week, when the wood chip pile and the pine straw in the yard are too wet to use.

The chickens get the non-rotten leftovers that the family has lost interest in unless they're too greasy, salty, or starchy.

Anything organic that isn't moldy or rotten, really. :)

For me it's mostly pine straw and live oak leaves because that's what I've got in the yard free for the raking.

Also garden waste and the husks, cobs, rinds, peels, stems, etc. from vegetable preparation including canning waste.

Wood chips from some tree work we had done. Grass clippings in season.

The occasional bale or two of straw when yard waste is short at the end of summer or, as will happen this week, when the wood chip pile and the pine straw in the yard are too wet to use.

The chickens get the non-rotten leftovers that the family has lost interest in unless they're too greasy, salty, or starchy.

Anything organic that isn't moldy or rotten, really. :)
Thanks, that's very helpful. We've been adding the grass clippings, tons of oak leaves in the fall, pine shavings, garden scraps... but I love the idea dumping compost from the house in the run.

Back
Top Bottom