Sideways rain into run

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hi all! I live in Seattle and we're having some heavy rain and wind. First year with my ladies. Coop is fully protected from rain, run is covered on the top but the sideways rain is getting the run wet. I have sand in there and mixing in PDZ but probably will need to block the rain once it starts to rain constantly.

I got tarp and vinyl (clear), but worried about them trying to eat it if it's on the side of the run. Any suggestions for material to line it that the girls will NOT eat? They want to eat everything obviously, plastic, styrofoam, etc. so I'm worried about pinning up something thin.

Thanks!

They shouldn't be able eat the tarp, but especially if you cover all edges with thin wood strips, which you probably want to do anyway to keep the tarp nice and tight so the wind can't tear it up.

And with the edges covered, the thinner vinyl will most likely also be fine... but if not you might need to cover problem spots with wood.

They shouldn't be able eat the tarp, but especially if you cover all edges with thin wood strips, which you probably want to do anyway to keep the tarp nice and tight so the wind can't tear it up.

And with the edges covered, the thinner vinyl will most likely also be fine... but if not you might need to cover problem spots with wood.

Thank you! That's super helpful. Will do.

I've read about people using clear shower curtains. I got a couple myself and put them up last week. I still need to pin them down with wood strips so they don't blow around too much, but they are already helping, and I like that I can see well through them (not all clear plastic is really clear, but these shower curtains are). I have them on the outside of the run fencing, and I have dense HC at chicken level on the fencing itself, so they can't really get at the plastic through the HC.

Back
Top Bottom