Alternative to Scratch feed???

I throw about a cup of (NatureSmart organic) scratch per morning to my nine hens. (It is consumed before roosting time every evening so it isn't necessary to scoop away leftovers.) Their main diet consists of organic layer crumbles, bugs, and forage greens from the lawn. -don't think it is necessary to feed scratch. I just think they literally like "scratching" stuff around on the ground and pecking through stuff.

Not really scratch but I feed a few cups of fermented peas every morning.

I keep it in a plastic coffee can by the coop. Just add peas, water and a tablespoon of unpasteurized vinegar with mothers.
Keeps 'em busy and out of the way while doing chores in the morning.

What is BOSS?

I had the same question. It stands for Black Oil Sunflower Seed.
smile.png

MCD311, I felt the same way about the scratch and decided to change it up a bit. So I bought a bag of horse sweet feed and would throw out a couple of cups of that once in awhile inside their run. They ate it but it took a couple of days so I don't think they liked it all that much.

Now I throw out a mixture of cracked corn, BOSS, dry oatmeal, and the cheap brand of Cheerios a couple times a week. They will pick it all clean by days end.

Love the wine glass. That's too funny.
Forgive my dirty hands, I had JUST finished planting my sweet corn and pulling weeds. But as you can see from this photo, cracked corn is a VERY small part of my scratch.

It's mostly Whole Oats, Milo, and BOSS.

I only give my girls a cup of scratch 2-3 times a week... And that is for all 7 hens. And anymore just before bedtime. I suspect as summer wears on, they will have plenty of foraged treats to eat... so I will forgo treating with scratch until the fall.

Just an idea....once a week I make the trip to town. I spoke with the manager at the local grocery store and worked up a deal. I get that days ripe fruit and veggies for 5 dollars a box. The food is still good enough to eat but may have a bruise etc...anyway I pick out the bad and put the rest in my spare fridge.....my girls have veggies all week.

Back
Top Bottom