alternatives to mashed potatoes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by agnes_day, Aug 1, 2010.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    my husband is really sick of mashed potatoes and i am trying to think of some side dishes other than, basically. any ideas?
    personally, i could eat them every night, but he disagrees. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you looking for other potatoe dishes or just something alternative period?

Potatoe alternatives:
    Stove top - like Augratin potatoes (using fresh potatoes instead of boxed ones [​IMG] )
    Fried potatoes with or without onions in a skillet (if you go for unhealthy [​IMG] )
    baked potatoes in the stove or microwave - this way you can fix your potatoes the way you each want!
    Boiling big cuts of potatoes, (1/2 to 1/4s) adding velveeta cheese or shreadded cheese and popping in oven for 15 minutes to melt cheeses over the potatoes [​IMG] (can add bacon or chives, ect to the recipe as well)

Other alternatives:
    Corn - cut corn or corn on the cob - boiled, baked, or grilled.
    broccoli and cheese
    a simple vegetable soup side dish (boiling different veggies in beef or chicken stock and tomatoe paste/sauce) you can eat just the boiled veggies or serve as a soup.
    green beans
    squash or zuccini - boiled w/ or w/o onions - also fried in a skillet if you want to be unhealthy - lol.
    fruits for a side dish instead of a veggie some nights

The list is endless!

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    sweet potato casserole, eggplant casserole, fried :eek:kra, zuchini, green tomatoes Corn pudding is a favorite here and add taco meat to it is heavenly!

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Try frying (very unhealthy) some cucumber slices dipped in cornmeal. Or chop squash, zucchini, cucumber, green tomatoes, onions, okra - shake up in seasoned cornmeal and fry altogether in hot oil for a tasty fresh veggie dish.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I could eat mashed potatoes daily. Some non potato substitutes- pasta, rice, egg noodles. Or just do away with carbs and substitute another vegetable.

6. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    We've been eating yellow squash, sliced thin, dipped in flour/salt/pepper then fried in veggie oil! SUPER good in the summer time.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Into a casserole dish slice potatoes, layer with chopped onions, melted butter and sour cream. Thoroughly pepper (and a little salt). Pour some milk on top, add parmeson cheese. Bake covered until done. Use ONLY real ingredients: butter, not margarine, real sour cream without additives (Knudson or Daisy brands), Shredded or shaved parmesan from the cheese section, NOT from a can.

No one has mentioned rice or pasta. Rice pilaf, rice with gravy, rice with cheese, plain rice with just pepper and salt. Buttered noodles, add herbs if desired, add cheese sauce as desired. Bernaise or hollandaise sauce to either (or to potatoes).

8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Cauliflower mashes up just like potatoes. It's a great low carb substitute.
    I have a cherry tomato explosion right now. Carmalize some thinly sliced red onion, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and cook down the liquid a bit. add cherry tomatoes (I cut mine in half) and cook until soft. YUM!
    Saute some chopped garlic in olive oil until brown. Add handfuls of fresh spinach and saute until wilted. Season with salt and top with parmesean cheese. Add some pine nuts if you like them.

9. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:Plain rice with butter is soooo good. I tried the Ronzoni Garden Harvest spaghetti - simply yummy! With a little butter and garlic and a bit of asiago. The colors are pretty too.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mashed turnips or rutabagas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by