Altsteirer

My littlefrizzle is one tough cookie. She is ranked 3rd or 4th out of 7. I just want to make sure everyone get along and no one is overly aggressive. Since I put those peepers on its been great. Her head feathers are almost back!!!

OMG! I'm so glad the Peepers are working. After reading the reviews by some that their hens learned to bypass the Peepers and still continued to peck I was afraid to hassle them. Do you have a group shot of your flock showing the Frizzle and the Alsteirer too? Peeper shots would be welcome too.

OMG!  I'm so glad the Peepers are working.  After reading the reviews by some that their hens learned to bypass the Peepers and still continued to peck I was afraid to hassle them.  Do you have a group shot of your flock showing the Frizzle and the Alsteirer too?  Peeper shots would be welcome too.

I don't have one right now but I will take on in the morning!! ;)

OMG!  I'm so glad the Peepers are working.  After reading the reviews by some that their hens learned to bypass the Peepers and still continued to peck I was afraid to hassle them.  Do you have a group shot of your flock showing the Frizzle and the Alsteirer too?  Peeper shots would be welcome too.

Hello. New to this thread. Does anyone have a standard they go by for the Altsterier? I have 4 hens and two roosters. Each a little different. Are there qualifying points that I should be watching for.

OMG! I'm so glad the Peepers are working. After reading the reviews by some that their hens learned to bypass the Peepers and still continued to peck I was afraid to hassle them. Do you have a group shot of your flock showing the Frizzle and the Alsteirer too? Peeper shots would be welcome too.
I don't have one right now but I will take on in the morning!!
wink.png

Photos....?

I am so sorry it's taken me so long. We have been non stop busy fr the end of summer and start of school!
hmm.png
here are the 2 girls together!

Lil Bit did not want to cooperate. Hahahaha!!!
lau.gif

The Peepers are a crack-up! Are they working? Do you think there will be a time when she won't have to wear them any more? One can only hope! Personally, I just re-home my peckish birds but if I had a beauty like your girl I might give her a chance LOL! Unfortunately in my tiny flock even just one peckish hen is a disaster. With only 4 hens I can't afford even ONE of them being a bully:

MY GENTLE GROUP left to right ~ Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, Blue Breda, Black Silkie, Partridge Silkie. Unfortunately we lost the Amer hen last month but to replace her we have a 2nd Breda on order. We found the Breda so productive that we decided to get another Breda in lieu of getting another low-production Ameraucana. Both Amer and Breda are docile breeds but the Breda is a better egg-layer and handles our humid climate better than the Amer.

The Peepers are a crack-up! Are they working? Do you think there will be a time when she won't have to wear them any more? One can only hope! Personally, I just re-home my peckish birds but if I had a beauty like your girl I might give her a chance LOL! Unfortunately in my tiny flock even just one peckish hen is a disaster. With only 4 hens I can't afford even ONE of them being a bully: MY GENTLE GROUP left to right ~ Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, Blue Breda, Black Silkie, Partridge Silkie. Unfortunately we lost the Amer hen last month but to replace her we have a 2nd Breda on order. We found the Breda so productive that we decided to get another Breda in lieu of getting another low-production Ameraucana. Both Amer and Breda are docile breeds but the Breda is a better egg-layer and handles our humid climate better than the Amer.
She can still judge peck in the general direction however she can't peck directly on their heads anymore. Lol!!!! Beautiful girls!!! I don't have any bredas but my girls do very well in the hot humid climate of Savannah!!! Hhahahahaa!!!

She can still judge peck in the general direction however she can't peck directly on their heads anymore. Lol!!!! Beautiful girls!!! I don't have any bredas but my girls do very well in the hot humid climate of Savannah!!! Hhahahahaa!!!

You've got East Coast humidity and we've got West Coast humidity! We've been in the 90's to 100's for the last 2 months!!! Worst summer yet! I no longer consider larger breeds or heavily-downed breeds when adding to the flock ~ the lighter-weight less-downy breeds handle our humidity better. Our heavily downed Ameraucana never handled our humid climate but she was the first one foraging when it was cold or raining! We lost her last month and I miss her sweetness but I won't get another Amer to subject her to our horrid climate.

You've got East Coast humidity and we've got West Coast humidity!  We've been in the 90's to 100's for the last 2 months!!!  Worst summer yet!  I no longer consider larger breeds or heavily-downed breeds when adding to the flock ~ the lighter-weight less-downy breeds handle our humidity better.  Our heavily downed Ameraucana never handled our humid climate but she was the first one foraging when it was cold or raining!  We lost her last month and I miss her sweetness but I won't get another Amer to subject her to our horrid climate.

I have friends who have lost birds on their flocks here due to heat but I have been blessed to be able to keep all of mine!

I just got 2 styrian (altsteirer) hens and rooster today! I think one of the hens should be laying already. I got them because they're Slovenian autochthonous chicken breed and I'm from Slovenia :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom